Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

No Toil Air Filter rim grease?

Go down 
+3
dfoustou
YZEtc
ST723
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ST723

No Toil Air Filter rim grease? Empty
PostSubject: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been searching the forums and internet and have yet to find a concrete answer.

I bought a No-Toil air filter to replace my stock air filter. The question is if I can use regular grease for the rim of the filter? Or do I have to use No-Toil rim grease specifically.

I used this on my stock filter, can I use it again? No Toil Air Filter rim grease? <a href=No Toil Air Filter rim grease? Img_0910" />

Thanks in advance! Happy Holidays!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyWed Dec 25, 2013 12:53 pm

What filter oil are you using?
Back to top Go down
ST723

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyWed Dec 25, 2013 6:34 pm

I just bought the pre-oiled No-Toil filter.
Back to top Go down
dfoustou

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyWed Dec 25, 2013 8:32 pm

You can just use engine oil.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 8:33 am

I would not use engine oil in place of foam filter oil.
I've done it in the past, and while dirt will stick to plain ol' engine oil, not as much of it will, and it can run off the filter and puddle at the bottom of the airbox.

As far as the grease goes, it will work provided there is no funky reaction between the petroleum grease and the non-petroleum No Toil filter oil.

Myself, I see no need for grease unless the air filter seats so poorly on the airbox surface that there is a gap that needs to be sealed with some thick and gooey stuff.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Seem to me if you use regular grease for the rim there goes the "no toil" advantage when cleaning.

Just my 2 cents - I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 9:35 am

FYI it has been fairly well documented that no toil, although convenient does not do a very good job at stopping dust from entering your engine. I won't use it offroad
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 10:07 pm

4play wrote:
FYI it has been fairly well documented that no toil, although convenient does not do a very good job at stopping dust from entering your engine. I won't use it offroad

Documentation please.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 pm

I'll let you do your own search, but you'll get a lot hits if you type "no toil sucks" . I've read many issues with no toil, many from engine builders that have seen the end results of many different combinations & zero issues with FFT or other conventional sticky oils. You'll also read reviews from people who like no toil.
I have a parts washer, so for me it's not worth changing from something I know works like FFT.
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 pm

When I run out of my no-toil oil, I will give FFT a try.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Black

Mr.Black

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 8:08 am

I'm going to have to call bull crap on No Toil not working, I have used it for 2 years and have never seen dust on the back side of the filter or in the intake track.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Toil Air Filter rim grease?   No Toil Air Filter rim grease? Empty

Back to top Go down

No Toil Air Filter rim grease?
Page 1 of 1