Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil Filters?

Go down 
+43
Blackdog
Caan Saer
spadgitt
mordicai
nap
AaronWhitt82
phroenips
Jäger
motokid
17and21
BWA
cuban11182
Akasy
M1A Rifleman
mash100
lukachuki
njbill
Jersey Devil
SheWolf
yellowredlight
clapped_r6
Bgunn
hughtwg
wilburj
Pancho
edteamslr
0007onWR
Crawdaddy
sswrx
YZEtc
greer
rydnseek
PonchoV
skierd
INSTIGATOR
garman
Chrispy1200
mwakey
BluePill
edwardhill1995
WeaveR
Machtig
ZED
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
greer

Oil Filters? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:01 am

Rocky Mountain offers K & N and several others, including a reuseable:

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/typeDetail.do?&navType=type&navTitle=Engine&webTypeId=101&webCatId=17&allVehParts=true

Sarah
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:06 am

As far as oil filter application charts go, an oil filter listed for any year YZ-450F motorcyclr or YFZ-450 ATV will also fit the WR-250R or X.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks! I think i get the one from rocky mtn.. i've bought a lot of stuff from them in the past.

scotty
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 pm

I'm with you & mwakey on using only OEM filters. Aftermarket filters may "FIT" but sometimes that's where it stops. People don't think about the internal engineering of the filters to meet the OEM engine specs. Bypass valves, filter media construction, etc. affect the volume & pressure of the oiling system. Seen it a few times on some of the cars that passed through the dealership I worked at that had F**M filters on them. Rod bearings got wiped because there was no anti-drainback valve built into the filters which means dry start-ups on cold mornings.
BluePill wrote:
Call me anal (everyone else does), but I use only oem filters on my bikes & cars. More than in a "regular" engine, the filter in a wet clutch motor has to work very hard. A small difference in size could cause the filter to bypass dirty oil and nasty stuff. Aftermarket filter vendors may list a filter that is "fairly close" for multiple applications (I've seen it many times on auto applications). My dealer charges six dollars and change for the oem filter, so I buy it from him. On the other hand, my local Honda stealership zapped me 13.99 for a filter that I got online from another Honda dealer for under six bucks. Pays to shop!
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Rocky Mtn ATV   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 pm

I've dropped in 2 OEM filters in the first ~150 miles but I also ordered 3 Tusks at ~$4ea......Rocky Mtn/Tusk products have always suited me fine.....no need to pay 3X as much for OEM (IMHO)

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&allVehParts=true&navType=type&webTypeId=101&navTitle=Engine&webCatId=17&prodFamilyId=15040#vehicleSelect
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Looks like a good filter, does it say where it's made on the box? China, Japan, USA? I'll probably stick with a factory filter anyway. Like the F**M commerical goes, you can pay a little (for a good OEM filter) now or a LOT (for new bearings, rings, cams, crankshaft, etc.) later. $10.00 for a Yamaha filter every 3000 miles is not much to pay since you know it's made for your bike & it will trap all the microscopic particles that will harm your engine & transmission.

Last edited by sswrx on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 7:18 pm

I always go by the old saying (I made it up)
Cheap parts cost less, Hyundai's cost less than BMW's cuz they just are not as good yada yada

You only need a filter every second oil change
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Yamaha were only joking about the filter...   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 6:28 am

0007onWR wrote:
You only need a filter every second oil change

Some people will not be persuaded otherwise Oil Filters? - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey, you cant hurt your bike by changing the filter too much
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 2:31 pm

Oil Filters? - Page 2 655907
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Oil filter question   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 8:09 pm

My dealer gave me with the new bike a metallic/washeable oil filter as a gift (OEM), have you used them? Are they as good as paper ones? How many oil changes and cleanings their are supposed to last? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wilburj

wilburj

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:25 am

I have seen them for awhile, but I don't know about that. How can you be sure you get all the gunk out? Perhaps there is some special way to clean them I am not aware of and they may come out clean as new, but, I do not think I could be persuaded to use one especially since paper filters are rather inexpensive. Just my 2 cents worth, not sure it is even worth 2 cents. wilburj
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 12:23 pm

I used on my DR-650 for 30k miles without any problems. I primarily got one because I was going on a long trip and didn't want to carry a half dozen filters with me.

I've also gotten one on my Victory but I primarily got it because it was sexy and Victory recommends doing the oil and filter ever 2500 miles.
http://www.conquestcustoms.com/oilfilters.aspx

With easy access to filters I probably wont be getting one for my WR.
Back to top Go down
Bgunn

Bgunn

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 9:54 pm

I used the Scotts filter on my Dakar for many miles. Well made and easy to clean, you can use about anything to clean it with, dish soap etc.

They should last forever, just make sure if someone else changes your oil they don't toss it.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 am

From what I've gathered, they don't filter very well. Paper filters work, I'd rather pay $3-5 every few months for a new filter that I know works than risk my motor.
Back to top Go down
clapped_r6

clapped_r6

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:40 am

skierd wrote:
From what I've gathered, they don't filter very well. Paper filters work, I'd rather pay $3-5 every few months for a new filter that I know works than risk my motor.

i don't think it's worth it. maybe, if you have a bike that's predisposed to wrecking the filter with water contamination (950/990 anyone?) but otherwise the data suggests that paper filters do a better job.

if you can wash it out with soap, it's probably getting by in the first place!
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: metal oil filters   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Anyone ever use a stainless steel oil filter?

such as this: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p306118&leafCatId=&mmyId=19600366

Do they work good? and how do you clean them?

seems like it could save money / headache of having to run to the bike shop.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm

For what you pay for the filter, buy a bunch of disposables and be done with it. Not worth the hassle IMO.

They do work though usually not as well as paper / fiber at the extreme particle size level. SS filters were originally developed for aerospace high temp / high pressure applications.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Intersting this came up. I was talking to a great Yamaha tech and was told to STAY AWAY from metal filters. Why? Because they filter TOO MUCH. What, you say? Well, they seem to filter so well that the filters plug up fast...in turn causing a whole slew of trouble. Care to rebuild your engine? KTM riders' bikes are flying apart because they changed to metal filters, and that was the reason. I was kinda looking at that myself, but after hearing that, yeah, I don't think so. Oil Filters? - Page 2 640571

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 pm

I have seen them for automotive use and also in diesel use. In high pressure applications I am all for them. Also on equipment that you tend to go into a lot to check the filters often. Disassemble it, rinse it clean and then clean the housing and back together again.
Which ever you choose, whether it be a serviceable stainless unit, a K&N element or a stock type always remember that filtration is the most important thing. Once an engine is broke in and everything is seated swap over to a good synthetic oil and a higher quality oil filter.

Something I do on my new personal vehicles is replace the stock oil filter ASAP (I carried a K&N oil filter to the dealer with me and told them to put it on before I left the lot with my S10 in 2002). Dont change the oil, just the filter and add the missing volume of oil from the filter change. I want that better filtration and protection thru the break in period and use the conventional oil for the break in since it is gonna get changed so soon. When it is time for its first service after break in change the filter and the oil both but now go to full sythetic. On the next service (5000 miles) I will replace the filter only and add any lost oil volume. Then on the next 5000 miles do the oil and filter both. So every other service is oil or oil and filter.

I started doing this after my '94 Lumina had to have the crank turned and new bearings installed at 64,000 miles. I use to run Castrol GTX and Frame oil filters. The machine shop asked me what products I was using and then showed me all the parafin deposits in the heads, valve covers and such. The "sludge" from conventional oil generally comes from parafin (wax) that is added to the oil. Once oil is subjected to heat it drops out and leaves a thin film on the engine parts. Once it warms up it liquifies and blends black into the oil.
From them I learned to run the full synthetic and better filters. The Lumina now has +210,000 on the engine and is just fine.
The 3000 mile range for oil changes is a marketing strategy for spending. 5000 miles is better. Aside from the parafin content in conventional oil it is not going to break down the formula of the oil from wear and tear. You would have to be racing your ass to and fro and really abusing the vehicle to do that. Example-race engines.
The synthetic is gonna get you the 5000 miles no problem, no chemical breakdown. A quality filtration program is the key to life of oil.
My products are as follows;
Lumina Euro; Mobile1 synthetic 10W30, K&N HP1001 +210,000 miles
S10; Mobil1 synthetic 10W30, K&N HP1001 filter +162,000 miles
PT Cruiser GT Turbo; Mobile1 syntetic, K&N HP1002 filter +64,000 miles
Yamaha WR250R; AMSOIL 10W40 synthetic, K&N 141 filter 5500 miles
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I have been using them for years on my WR250F. Last year, I did a top end when I thought it was about time and, much to my delight, my cylinder, piston and rings looked like they had about 100 miles on them. Remember, I am talking about a high-strung race bike with a 13,500 RPM redline. I blow out the filter with high pressure air when I change my oil. Even when I did my first oil change after the new top end, I did not see any significant metal in the filter.
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 pm

One thing to remember is that they are kind of a pain to clean as well. I had one for an old XR and never again. Not worth the money IMHO.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:00 am

Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am

Jersey Devil wrote:

The 3000 mile range for oil changes is a marketing strategy for spending. 5000 miles is better. Aside from the parafin content in conventional oil it is not going to break down the formula of the oil from wear and tear. You would have to be racing your ass to and fro and really abusing the vehicle to do that. Example-race engines.
The synthetic is gonna get you the 5000 miles no problem, no chemical breakdown. A quality filtration program is the key to life of oil.

Yamaha WR250R; AMSOIL 10W40 synthetic, K&N 141 filter 5500 miles

Sounds interesting & plausible. What about semi-synthetic?? I'm just about to change out the Motul semi-synthetic 5100 10W40 in my X at 3500 miles. I maybe a nooob, but I've read loads of stuff on regular v synthetic oil, & how 'synthetic' synthetic oil actually is!! Anyway, the Motul already in my X doesn't seem thin or cruddy - its a nice sandy colour, & yeah, it looks like its only half used!
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:38 am

njbill wrote:
I have been using them for years on my WR250F. Last year, I did a top end when I thought it was about time and, much to my delight, my cylinder, piston and rings looked like they had about 100 miles on them. Remember, I am talking about a high-strung race bike with a 13,500 RPM redline. I blow out the filter with high pressure air when I change my oil. Even when I did my first oil change after the new top end, I did not see any significant metal in the filter.

Cool, thanks for the info. Oil Filters? - Page 2 61865

might have to pick one up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Filters?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next