Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil Filters?

Go down 
+43
Blackdog
Caan Saer
spadgitt
mordicai
nap
AaronWhitt82
phroenips
Jäger
motokid
17and21
BWA
cuban11182
Akasy
M1A Rifleman
mash100
lukachuki
njbill
Jersey Devil
SheWolf
yellowredlight
clapped_r6
Bgunn
hughtwg
wilburj
Pancho
edteamslr
0007onWR
Crawdaddy
sswrx
YZEtc
greer
rydnseek
PonchoV
skierd
INSTIGATOR
garman
Chrispy1200
mwakey
BluePill
edwardhill1995
WeaveR
Machtig
ZED
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
yellowredlight

Oil Filters? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:08 am

lukachuki wrote:
One thing to remember is that they are kind of a pain to clean as well. I had one for an old XR and never again. Not worth the money IMHO.

what were you doing to clean it that made it a pain?
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:47 am

Sounds interesting & plausible. What about semi-synthetic?? I'm just about to change out the Motul semi-synthetic 5100 10W40 in my X at 3500 miles. I maybe a nooob, but I've read loads of stuff on regular v synthetic oil, & how 'synthetic' synthetic oil actually is!! Anyway, the Motul already in my X doesn't seem thin or cruddy - its a nice sandy colour, & yeah, it looks like its only half used![/quote]

Never used semi synthetic so I dont have an honest opinion of it. Just figured one way or the other but never tried the semi.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 4:10 pm

[quote="ZED"]
Does anyone know the filter number that can be cross-referenced at an auto parts store?
quote]

To answer:
KN-141
WIX 57933
Napa PS7933

I have not found an auto parts store in CA that stocks these. I believe Cycle Gear stocks the KN-141 though I have not checked, and since it costs more than the OEM Yami filter, I guess I will continue to drive/ride out of my way to the dealer. dunno
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 4:55 pm

My personal pinion on filters is:
Aftermarket filters generally simply "Fit" and are not necessarily designed for the application
For example, if it fit's a lawn tractor or a Harley and happens to screw onto a yamaha, it is on their cross ref chart weather it works or not
Stock filters are NOT prohibitively expensive
Stock filter was designed for the application
It's too much work to find and decide if an aftermarket filter is ok or not, as evidenced by the several page thread, even then how can you trust the manufacturer's information
30 years in the industry much of it on the technical side showed me quite a few failures of aftermarket filters and 0 failures of OEM filters

You only need to change your filter every second oil change, the only issue you have is that the filter could plug and bypass, generally the only debris that can plug your filter is a destroyed clutch or a seized engine
In either case you are changing the filter regardless
Your engine and transmission really don't make much debris to be cought in the filter after break in is complete

I just use the oem filter, for most of us it's a once year purchase, it's a no brainer easy to trust item
cut it open after you change it and look at the debris it has inside
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 6:06 pm

+1 well put and very accurate. thumb I think someone said "Penny wise and pound foolish"

0007onWR wrote:
Aftermarket filters generally simply "Fit" and are not necessarily designed for the application
For example, if it fit's a lawn tractor or a Harley and happens to screw onto a yamaha, it is on their cross ref chart weather it works or not
It's too much work to find and decide if an aftermarket filter is ok or not, as evidenced by the several page thread, even then how can you trust the manufacturer's information
30 years in the industry much of it on the technical side showed me quite a few failures of aftermarket filters and 0 failures of OEM filters

You only need to change your filter every second oil change, the only issue you have is that the filter could plug and bypass, generally the only debris that can plug your filter is a destroyed clutch or a seized engine
Your engine and transmission really don't make much debris to be cought in the filter after break in is complete

I just use the oem filter, for most of us it's a once year purchase, it's a no brainer easy to trust item
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 5:36 pm

I wonder if the reason people say that the stainless filters don't work since they want you to spent more money on paper filters. I work on Hydraulic Systems for the US Coast Guard and know that you use metal filters. We don't reuse them, but they are still metal. I also know that those systems are very touchy when it comes to contaminants.

I'm going to see if I can research some micron ratings on them.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 10:13 pm

What kind of pressures are you working with in hydraulics?
Maybe the pressure and volume would destroy a conventional filter
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 am

0007onWR wrote:
Maybe the pressure and volume would destroy a conventional filter

That is true. I was just referring to how hydraulic systems fail alot faster than a regular motor due to contaminents.
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 10:07 pm

ZED wrote:
I did eventually get Napa filters to fit the WRX. I haven't posted yet because I keep forgetting to bring the correct numbers in from the shop. I will get to that and post up.

One important thing though. The WRX and XT FILTER ARE NOT THE SAME! we pulled both out at the same time and compared. The WRX filter is too short for the XT and is missing the oil holes needed to lube the top end so there is no way it will work. Any site that shows them to be the same is, in my opinion, on glue.

It depends on what year the XT is. Here, a pic of Yamaha oil filter for our bikes, and other bikes it fits (sorry for crappy cell pic)

Oil Filters? - Page 3 WR250XOilFilterCrop

Side note, I looked thru the hiflo filtro site, and for 09-10 wr250x/r they now list HF140, as opposed to HF141 mentioned earlier:
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/17.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=1724
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Akasy wrote:
+1 well put and very accurate. thumb I think someone said "Penny wise and pound foolish"

0007onWR wrote:

[b]DITTO!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 4:54 pm

I learned some stuff about filters recently while we were putting together oil seminars
Some (most) aftermarket filters are 100 microns, Yamaha is 30 micron
Interesting thing is, the aftermarket filters that are 30 micron are the same price or more than Yamaha filters
Internally yam filters are a mesh material rather than the folded paper ones you get for cheaper price
So, Yamaha good, aftermarket cheep = Bad
No reason to use lower price filters, I might post a pic of the internals if you find it exciting enough
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Pics of the filter internals would be cool! Everyone could see the quality difference then!
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: filters   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 10:12 pm

What I don't understand about the discussion over filters is the $$$. Let's say the OEM filter is $10 and you change oil every 2000 miles. Most of these bikes will never see the first valve adjustment but for the sake of discussion let's say most will see 30000 miles in the first 10 years of life--which I highly doubt. Anyway that is 15 oil changes for $150 in filters. That is against one bad guess or bad advice on using a XXXX from XXX that you can get for half the price of the OEM--and the advice is wrong and you end up doing a bottom and top end. I just don't see the upside of $75 in savings scratch
Keep the infor flowing 007--you were right in your first post IMHO. thumb

0007onWR wrote:
I learned some stuff about filters recently while we were putting together oil seminars
Some (most) aftermarket filters are 100 microns, Yamaha is 30 micron
Interesting thing is, the aftermarket filters that are 30 micron are the same price or more than Yamaha filters
Internally yam filters are a mesh material rather than the folded paper ones you get for cheaper price
So, Yamaha good, aftermarket cheep = Bad
No reason to use lower price filters, I might post a pic of the internals if you find it exciting enough
Back to top Go down
17and21

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 6:19 pm

BWA wrote:

Side note, I looked thru the hiflo filtro site, and for 09-10 wr250x/r they now list HF140, as opposed to HF141 mentioned earlier:
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/17.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=1724
Dudes, and dudettes...
WTF
Discrepancy alert.......
Perhaps this has been posted already??

HIFLO
141 vs 140

pic from Tucker Rocky's catalog:
Oil Filters? - Page 3 Hfw2

pic from hiflow's website:
Oil Filters? - Page 3 Hiflw

yikes! wtf

I just used the 141...
and it seemed a little "small", didn't fit 'snug' on the post thingie like the stocker...

so I researched just to double-check.

Have I been bamboozled? Hoodwinked? omg

?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Buy the stock filter from Yamaha.

Problem solved.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 1:26 am

[quote="98940WR250R"]
BWA wrote:
I just used the 141...
and it seemed a little "small", didn't fit 'snug' on the post thingie like the stocker...

so I researched just to double-check.

Have I been bamboozled? Hoodwinked? omg ?
Reference 0007onWR's comments above on oil filters - him being a Yammy tech and all.

Did you feel the Yammy filters were a shortcoming that needed addressing?

I buy 'em by the batch from Seattle Plaza or whatever it is. Dirt cheap. Makes the cost of oil changes pretty negligible on this bike.

So what advantage do you see yourself getting with these third party oil filters?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 6:28 am

Might not worry too much. Yamaha shows a different part number for the '08 compared to the '09 and up. I've read time and again JT and HiFlo (BikeAlert) supply oem.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
17and21

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 9:30 am

Jäger wrote:

Reference 0007onWR's comments above on oil filters - him being a Yammy tech and all.

Did you feel the Yammy filters were a shortcoming that needed addressing?
No.

Jäger wrote:
I buy 'em by the batch from Seattle Plaza or whatever it is. Dirt cheap. Makes the cost of oil changes pretty negligible on this bike.
Money is no object for me.

Jäger wrote:
So what advantage do you see yourself getting with these third party oil filters?
My friend & his family own my local dealership, which happens to be Suz/Kaw.

They have the capacity to get OEM Yam for me, but it's special order, and their profit margin is lower.

I buy what they have in stock as much as possible.

The oil filters they have in stock for Hon, Yam & other brands are whatever is available from large distributors,,
such as Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited.

The advantage I see myself getting is that I'm getting what I need for my bike, while helping friends keep their doors open during troubling economic times.

When I posted my statement & pics, what I was trying to do was create discussion about a possible discrepancy in part numbers of HiFlo filters for the WR250X/R.
I'm not really concerned with the quality nor the pricing of oil filters for the WR.

Anyhow- I just hung up the phone after speaking with a rep from Bike Alert.
Here is a description of who Bike Alert is,, from the HiFlo website:

Contact Addresses
Hiflofiltro is distributed worldwide by Bike Alert Plc.
Bike Alert supplies all major distributors worldwide.
Please note, that we do not deliver direct to end consumers - although Bike Alert is always pleased to help.
Please choose your area to get contact details of your Bike Alert branch.
Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, South America
North America

The nice lady said that the correct part # for the 2009 WR250X is the HF-140, not the HF-141.
I made her aware of the discrepancy in the Tucker catalog.

I will now attempt to make TR aware of this, for what it may be worth...
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Filter   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am

+1

motokid wrote:

Problem solved.

Back to top Go down
17and21

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

Akasy wrote:
+1

motokid wrote:

Problem solved.

That doesn't solve the problem that I'm discussing.
Perhaps you guys don't understand my point.

I'll try to be more clear, just in case other WR250R or X owners that might end up seeing this,
either today, or in the future,, are seeing precise info about HiFlo oil filters.

I'm working at getting to the bottom of a possible HiFlo part # issue.
Straightening this issue out may help others in the future,
and will possibly cause catalogs & part listings to be updated.
Back to top Go down
phroenips

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:46 pm

98940WR250R wrote:
Jäger wrote:

Jäger wrote:

Jäger wrote:

They have the capacity to get OEM Yam for me, but it's special order, and their profit margin is lower.

Then have them order the Yamaha OEM, and let them charge you more so that they can make a higher profit?

I guess I'm not following your logic.
Back to top Go down
17and21

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 pm

phroenips wrote:
98940WR250R wrote:
Jäger wrote:

Jäger wrote:

Jäger wrote:

Then have them order the Yamaha OEM, and let them charge you more so that they can make a higher profit?

I guess I'm not following your logic.
Yes, it appears that you're not.

Anyhow-
I sent an email to Tucker Rocky's contact address.
I'll update when I find out info.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:19 am

98940WR250R wrote:
The advantage I see myself getting is that I'm getting what I need for my bike, while helping friends keep their doors open during troubling economic times.

When I posted my statement & pics, what I was trying to do was create discussion about a possible discrepancy in part numbers of HiFlo filters for the WR250X/R.
I'm not really concerned with the quality nor the pricing of oil filters for the WR.
Ah, copy that. Some pie for you because you're trying to help out your buddies.

Another piece of pie for taking the time to try and help them out with the error on the filter number.
Back to top Go down
17and21

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 am

Good morning wr250rforum-ites

Just spoke with a rep at TR...

She stated that she'd investigate, and reach out to HiFlo to straighten it all out.

Interesting to see where it all goes.

Maybe if they do an update, there will be an asterisk next to it,
and down below it will say
*A big shout-out and thanks to 98940WR250R from the WR250Rforum! You rock dude. Your bag of cash and free stuff is in the mail !! We love you man

lol!
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 am

If you hear more, let us know. Dennis Kirk shows HF141 fitting the '08, '09, '10 bikes, with HF140 fitting '09, '10, '11.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters?   Oil Filters? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Filters?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next