Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer

Go down 
+14
StreetGhost
motocrossmann
nap
SheWolf
skidmarx
DesertRatliff
DougZ
Sproat Sport
YZEtc
dustcloud
Ozy
TierHawg
danila
PYG RYDR
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am

Anyone running the stock exhaust and FMF programmer?

Results?

TIA
Back to top Go down
danila

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 pm

I am also interested in this question!!!
Back to top Go down
TierHawg

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 am

I am running the FMF programmer with an otherwise stock set-up. My fuel mileage dropped a little, so that means it works, right? Rolling Eyes

It did seem to "richen up" the bike somewhat. Have not changed the settings on the unit. I did this mod about a year ago, and planned to upgrade the exhaust too but other things happened and the engine/exhaust are still stock. I think the EFI FMF mod alone was worth what I paid, so I'm okay with it. Plus, eventually I'm going to do the AIS and flapper mod.
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 7:24 am

gediehl4 wrote:

Results?

TIA

I have an 08 but as far as the engine goes, it's all stock as it was purchased new in Sept 09 and is still under the factory 2 yr warranty so I don't want to start ripping parts off it just yet.

I did however install the FMF programmer and contacted Dobeck who makes them and asked for advice with the settings for a stock bike and gave me the settings below and it goes great.

G 2.5
Y 2.5
R .5
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

Back to top Go down
dustcloud

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 10:44 am

Thanx. i should be getting my fmf programmer on Mon or Tues so this is where I'll start til I can afford the megabomb and Q4.
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for the information.

A little more background about my original question.

I have a 2008 WRR and been riding it for past 2 years. I added mods to satisfy most of my needs. I also purchased a FMF Megabomb, Q4 and Prgrammer. I have not installed any of the FMF-why. I like the current gas mileage, am concerned about possible longterm negative effects on running the FMF. I love my WR. Of course I could use some more performance-just cautious and maybe overcautious.

For those who have installed the total FMF package-any negative effect?

Is FMF package working well?

TIA
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 3:02 pm

gediehl4 wrote:

Only if you don't like more power from the engine and less weight hanging from the bike.
Noise is increased, but still completely acceptable.

gediehl4 wrote:
Yes, very. :)

I'm curious to know of what negative effects you fear.

Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 3:11 pm

YZEtc wrote:
gediehl4 wrote:

Only if you don't like more power from the engine and less weight hanging from the bike.
Noise is increased, but still completely acceptable.

gediehl4 wrote:
Yes, very. :)

I'm curious to know of what negative effects you fear.

I do not have an specific fear-just concern.

We all know that our WRs are virtually bulletproof by Yama design-just wanta keep that design workin.
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm also running stock exhaust with a recently installed FMF Programmer. Thanks Ozy for the posting those recommended settings. I had the programmer running in its stock form right off the bat and it was smokin' pretty bad. But as soon as I dialed in those numbers of yours, the smoke cleared up instantly before my eyes. Pretty cool to witness, actually. The bike runs better with this programmer (I also did airbox/flapper mod). Runs a little gnarlier. Worth the money.

I just want to declare that for me, the power of my WR is totally adequate for off-roading. That's why I've got this bike: to ride to the off-road areas and then do it up, then ride home. I don't expect much from it in terms of its performance/power on the slab. Who really cares about the slab, anyway? That's where cars go. Boring!

My KLR days are happily behind me. I put 17,000kms on my 08 KLR in 2 years, and that was enough of that. Luckily my back somehow survived lots of off-roading and Baja with that oinker.

Light is right!
Back to top Go down
TierHawg

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyMon May 02, 2011 1:16 am

I switched to the settings Ozy above posted on my otherwise stock bike. Been running the new settings for about two months. My fuel mileage didn't change at all. scratch Everything else seems the same.

Oh well, still a very good mod.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyWed May 04, 2011 9:34 am

Subscribed as well. I have a programmer coming this week..got a sweet deal..too good to pass up. Not sure when I'll get a can for it.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Ozy wrote:
gediehl4 wrote:

Results?

TIA

I have an 08 but as far as the engine goes, it's all stock as it was purchased new in Sept 09 and is still under the factory 2 yr warranty so I don't want to start ripping parts off it just yet.

I did however install the FMF programmer and contacted Dobeck who makes them and asked for advice with the settings for a stock bike and gave me the settings below and it goes great.

G 2.5
Y 2.5
R .5
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

The only non stock mod I really have is the flapper mod. I would assume these settings would work fine for me?

I just got my FMF programmer today. wings

Also, its simple enough, but the pics were a tad small....like stamps....on the directions. Is there a tutorial anywhere? I would have thought wrrdualsport.com would have had one, but did not see any.
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat May 07, 2011 2:42 pm

I know what you mean with the small pics. But, once you get into it you can squint your way through it. I couldn't find any tutorials or anything either.

If you take your time it's fine. I rushed my install a bit, cause i was a bit too excited...so I had to redo it to clean up the routing of the wires from the battery to under the tank. I also had the unit under the seat at first, but couldn't find a way to secure it properly, so I ended up installing it as per the FMF suggestion (on the front side of the battery holder).

Good improvement to the bike this one. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:30 pm

...and those settings will be good for you and your airbox mod. I had the same situation...worked like a charm.

I just installed a gytr pipe actually, after a few months with the programmer and stock pipe.

You have that to look forward to too. But one thing at a time.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat May 07, 2011 7:05 pm

OK, good deal. Thanks for the reply and information. thumb
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:06 pm

I also installed the FMF PP on my '08 X yesterday. The flapper is removed, TwinAir filter and everything else is stock. Also, I live (and test) at 8500 feet. I used the numbers above (2.5, 2.5, .5, 8, 4 and 4.5), but didn't notice much, if any difference in performance.

So I read the tuning instructions again and came back to the Net to dial in my knowledge base.

Here's my question to you guru's:

Green mode (1st Number)- fuel added during cruise conditions: Why add additional fuel here? I'd like to maintain good fuel efficiency numbers. Why haven't I seen this number closer to .5? Not being a prick, but seriously interested in this.

Red (3rd number)-fuel added during WOT: Why is this number .5? Wouldn't you want to add additional fuel at WOT to combat the lean burn that seems inherant in these bikes at high RPM WOT? .5 indicates no additional fuel is being added. Why this number?

Thanks for the help in getting my X dialed.

-Nic

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat May 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Because, the way I understand it, the bike needs more fuel even while cruising, but doesn't need any more at full throttle.
That may seem ass-backwards, but, that's what the manufacturers are having to do to pass these regulations with the stock fueling.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:21 am

Yes, that is somewhat correct. The fuel programmer adds over top of the stock fuel curve..so it adds the amounts needed, where needed.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySun May 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Great. Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that we needed more fuel at WOT, but it seemed to smell very rich just opening it up around the neighborhood. When I went out to play around with the programmer, I noticed red (3rd number) was on 1.5 and not .5. I backed it down and took it out for a spin. Whoa! I noticed a big difference and confirmed my butt HP by gaining 2 mph (from 74 to 76 mph) on my "test" hill. The X pulls faster up the hill than my uncorked and fully modded KLR. I'm impressed.

Thanks again for info.

Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyThu May 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for the settings and help gents.

I finally got some time to install my FMF programmer tonight. easy install, even taking my time.

Had a heck of a time getting the FMF plug into the stock harness plug. It was crazy hard to try and get latched. I filed down some of the plastic housing on the FMF plug and that did the trick.

Programming was a breeze. I used the settings above and it seemed to be OK..bike was still running. LOL

Took it for a ride up down the street.....seems to be making more power ( at least down low). Hard to really tell...but it felt good. Trails will tell this weekend.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:45 pm

OK, so now I have a slightly used FMF Q4 can coming.

So, what should I change my settings to for the programmer??

Also, where is the link to the thread where I can just use resistors to get rid of the EXUP set up and not throw the code?? I think it was here I saw it?
Back to top Go down
skidmarx

skidmarx

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:59 am

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t627-cheapest-diy-servo-bypass
It's a sticky in Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:08 pm

skidmarx wrote:
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t627-cheapest-diy-servo-bypass
It's a sticky in Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories

Thanks, I did find it afterwards. thumb
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat May 21, 2011 1:50 am

DougZ wrote:
OK, so now I have a slightly used FMF Q4 can coming.

So, what should I change my settings to for the programmer??

Also, where is the link to the thread where I can just use resistors to get rid of the EXUP set up and not throw the code?? I think it was here I saw it?

Return the programmer back to the default settings as they are the settings to suit the FMF pipe.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer EmptySat May 21, 2011 10:31 am

The default setting are just that, the lowest settings on the programmer as it comes shipped that way. It doesn't come pre-programmed for a certain pipe, even an FMF one for that matter. It simply is a base setting to start from when you start tuning the programmer. If you've done any mods the default settings aren't going to do much (if anything) performance wise really; you have to adjust the programmer to get the mojo going. thumb And once you DO, you'll wish that you had done it sooner. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next