Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

how long did your clutch last?

Go down 
+10
gatorfan
rims123456
GusinCA
millert85
Striper19
Krabill
f3joel
oic0
YZEtc
NorgeWR2X
14 posters
AuthorMessage
NorgeWR2X

how long did your clutch last? Empty
PostSubject: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 am

pls share, this should give me an idea as to when i should replace my clutch plates Very happy

and should i get this kit? http://cgi.ebay.ca/KG-Clutch-Factory-Kevlar-Disc-Sets-Yamaha-WR250X-08-11-/200632230983?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb69ce447#ht_500wt_922

or this? http://cgi.ebay.ca/08-09-Yamaha-WR-250-X-R-EBC-DRC-full-clutch-kit-NEW-/150511902909?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230b3560bd#ht_1610wt_914
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:29 am

How long your clutch lasts depends on how much abuse you heap upon it.
It could be one ride, or the whole time you own the bike.

Myself, I always go with genuine Yamaha parts.
The few times I've used aftermarket clutch parts, it didn't feel the same.
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 7:21 am

YZEtc wrote:
How long your clutch lasts depends on how much abuse you heap upon it.
It could be one ride, or the whole time you own the bike.

Myself, I always go with genuine Yamaha parts.
The few times I've used aftermarket clutch parts, it didn't feel the same.

so have u changed your clutch plates yet?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 7:55 am

No, I haven't.

My 2008 WR-250X has around 6,000 miles on it, with the original clutch parts working just fine.
The 2008 WR-250R that I rode last year had 7,500 miles on it when I sold it last September.
That bike still had the original clutch parts working just fine.

There have been some posts of guys roasting their clutches, though.

Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am

The way I ride mine on the street, I can't imagine ever wearing it out. Not unless I use the wrong oil and glaze the friction plates. In which case I will try to sand them and make them good again.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 pm

I wheelie all the time and have 12,000 + on my clutch
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 am

I constantly slip mine on the trails and with 19k+ miles it is still working as good as ever.
Back to top Go down
Striper19

Striper19

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 pm

I got 2500 miles on my 2008. Street riding only. I just replaced the stock clutch with the complete Barnett Dirt Digger Clutch Kit (Springs, and Plates) just because Im upgrading everything on the bike and wanted to change the clutch (my stock clutch is still perfectly fine, if I clean the oil off them, they'd pass as new still). I must say the Barnett Dirt Digger clutch is AMAZING!!! It's soooooo smooth compared to the stock clutch! If I come in really hot to a corner and drop 2 or 3 gears quick, The engagement and engine braking is nothing like the stock clutch, its much more smoother and not nearly as harsh. Its like the mid point between having a slipper clutch and the stock clutch. Difference in the plates : carbon fiber friction pads vs. stock kevlar pads. The Barnett springs have half the coils as the stock, but the spring rate is way better. I've always replaced clutches with EBC brand stuff but im a BARNETT fan now.

PS, got the clutch kit on ebay via Niche Cycle Supply for 125 Shipped. Best price around.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 9:14 am

dont use kevlar or carbon clutch plates on a street ridden wet clutch bike. they grip great, but can make it a bit too 'grabby', and the main problem is the crud they put in your oil as they wear. they are something that should only be used in race type situations where you change the oil after every meet. at work the only time we use non genuine plates in any brand is for super tight arses or in huge power race bikes. your better off with heavier springs to get more clamping force than grippier plates.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Knowing this bike, it should last about 30 years.
Back to top Go down
Striper19

Striper19

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 8:21 pm

millert85 wrote:
dont use kevlar or carbon clutch plates on a street ridden wet clutch bike. they grip great, but can make it a bit too 'grabby', and the main problem is the crud they put in your oil as they wear. they are something that should only be used in race type situations where you change the oil after every meet. at work the only time we use non genuine plates in any brand is for super tight arses or in huge power race bikes. your better off with heavier springs to get more clamping force than grippier plates.

STOCK YAMAHA PLATES = KEVLAR
Back to top Go down
rims123456

PostSubject: chrome rims   how long did your clutch last? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 pm

If I come in really hot to a corner and drop 2 or 3 gears quick, The engagement and engine braking is nothing like the stock clutch, its much more smoother and not nearly as harsh. Its like the mid point between having a slipper clutch and the stock clutch. Difference in the plates : carbon fiber friction pads vs. stock kevlar pads. rims

Last edited by rims123456 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 9:07 pm

'08 WRR - 7,400 miles - original clutch
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

PostSubject: aftermarket clutch parts   how long did your clutch last? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 7:47 am

Hey all.,

I've been feeling my clutch slowly getting worse during the last year and it finally went in the middle of a hare scramble. On a sharp hill. A muuuuuddy one. Rolling Eyes It always seemed to fade if I was riding hard for a few hours and adjusting never seemed to help. It's not bad stock and for general riding I've never had any problems, but for all my highway use and heavy clutching during racing there's got to be something better.

I've been looking through the posts, but haven't found any specific info about clutch parts. Aside from OEM, and plates from EBC and possibly Barnett, who supplies clutch parts for the WR? Anyone make an aftermarket basket? I haven't had a chance to call the usual suspects, but I haven't seen the WRR listed specifically on their websites.

Maybe a new thread here?

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 pm

'08 WRR - 8,000 miles - Original clutch, no problems

2/3 dirt - 1/3 street

I'm pretty hard on the clutch.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 am

31k miles, original clutch but probably going to get done by the time it hits 50k miles. Its definitely nit as nice as new anymore but still holds fine. Off roading with the stock x gearing and street tires hasn't helped the cause for sure.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm considering getting a Barnett set of plates (kit) since I'm starting to get really pissed at the lack of clutch control. The lever engages way at the top (lever out) now. I've adjusted and lubed every which wa, and the bike has just about 2K on it.
I've got about 1K on the oil so maybe I should swap it out and see...
I do have bar risers but the clutch seems to have enough slack though.
Makin; me cranky. GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Rapid Dog wrote:
I'm considering getting a Barnett set of plates (kit) since I'm starting to get really pissed at the lack of clutch control. The lever engages way at the top (lever out) now. I've adjusted and lubed every which wa, and the bike has just about 2K on it.
I've got about 1K on the oil so maybe I should swap it out and see...
I do have bar risers but the clutch seems to have enough slack though.
Makin; me cranky. GAHHHH
Are you using both adjustments for the clutch cable?
Or just using the one at the perch?
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm

I've tried both.
The bike has been flawless up til now, but now it's all grabby. Hard to slip the clutch when need I need to like making a U in the dirt.
On another note, my clutch pull is much easier than my friends WR which is very stiff.
At any rate, it's not very slick shiftin'...
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Mine is real grabby now too. I need to get in there and inspect. I might have cooked it a bit on a hard start. I just pray the basket/driven hub isn't gouged.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:26 am

...change the oil yesterday, pretty dirty for 700 miles. Who knew Yamaha synth is good for 500 miles... Very happy
Seems to shift, clutch better now. Less grabby.
I've ponied up fo a Righteous lever though. I figure something more precise won't hurt things...
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Righteous!   how long did your clutch last? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Had a talk with Josh at righteousstuntmetal.com about his levers.
Bought one and got it un-blinged raw metal with the delrin bushing. Looks great.

Most important, it's cured all my grabby clutch issues.
The clutch action is smooth and transparent as it should be.
Well worth the price.
thumb
Money shots...

how long did your clutch last? DSCN9049-XL

how long did your clutch last? DSCN9051-XL

how long did your clutch last? DSCN9048-XL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how long did your clutch last?   how long did your clutch last? Empty

Back to top Go down

how long did your clutch last?
Page 1 of 1