Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Boots you can walk in

Go down 
+30
gatorfan
Petter
ed29
Chrispy1200
subedai
dulinor
njbill
simmons1
yellowredlight
dtx
Dancamp
0007onWR
oh2RideMore
ModalGuy
BigBoar
toast
inspector
essadv
bash3r
rydnseek
greer
Twistagrip
mx284
MNMike
SheWolf
skierd
INSTIGATOR
motokid
mtb
Jäger
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Boots you can walk in Empty
PostSubject: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 pm

Anyone found a riding boot that is adaptable enough to walk a mile or two in once you hit the end of the motorized access and need a ways to go to get to the flyfishing or whatever? I'm still riding in my old Answer boots, but I wouldn't want to walk to far in them. I'm beginning to think my old military Danner's might be the best choice - or maybe one of those plastic light mountaineering boots.

Protection with the ability to walk a few miles when necessary. Not unusual for me to leave the bike at the end of the trail and spend most of the day humping up into the alpine and back. So far, I've just packed a set of boots and whatnot in with me, but that is an annoyance.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:13 pm

SIDI Crossfire is the way to go thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:46 pm

mtb wrote:
SIDI Crossfire is the way to go thumb

$$$$$$$$$$$

The Fox Comp 5's I tried on today seemed pretty comfy.

I guess the question is how much walking you thinking about?
A backpack with sneakers can cure any issues with being in boots for long distances.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
INSTIGATOR

INSTIGATOR

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Thor 50/50
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:12 am

I've got the Thor 50/50's, do a decent amount of walking in them as I commute to campus in them. Not bad to walk in, but they're no walking shoe as they're heavy, stiff when buckled, and clunky. With the short height the protection isn't as good as I'd want for any semi-serious trail work (I have Alpinestars Tech 6's for that).

A pair of trail runners or low cut hikers would be a much much better choice than trying to hike a mile or three in heavy, clunky motorcycle boots. If you really don't want to carry a second pair of shoes, I suggest Alpinestars HiPoints/Super Victories, with a lugged sole if you can get one. I had a pair for a while as a do-it-all boot and they were pretty good at it, but I found having two pairs boots worked better for me.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 4:20 am

motokid wrote:
I guess the question is how much walking you thinking about?
A backpack with sneakers can cure any issues with being in boots for long distances.

It can be two or three miles. No bikes in the alpine.

Sneakers up here high in the Rockies is a fast way to break an ankle. This is pretty much boot country when you get up there.

The more I think of it, the more I can't see any reason why my Danner's won't work fine for both on a hybrid trip.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 9:56 am

My smoke jumper boots I can walk all day in and have ridden lots in them. Being a thick leather, Vibram sole and covers 8 inches of my calf, it protects more than my runners. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 1:01 pm

gaerne sg10 and sidi crossfire are both great boots with articulating ankles which makes walking a lot easier! i found a pair of brand new crossfires on craigstlist for $250...and here is a pair of sg10's for $250 (50% off). They guy said he would be willing to ship.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/1254909091.html
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 3:55 pm

SheWolf wrote:
My smoke jumper boots I can walk all day in and have ridden lots in them. Being a thick leather, Vibram sole and covers 8 inches of my calf, it protects more than my runners. thumb

Well, the boots we jump in in the CF are nothing special, ditto for the Americans, I can tell you that. I don't know what companies are buying for smoke jumpers these days, but the old US Corcoran jump boots were nothing special either, in my opinion. One reason so many jumpers went out and paid for boots out of pocket once that became allowed.

The problem with any military style boot as I see it is you can certainly find them with more than enough ankle support and flexibility to walk a ways in. But what you don't have is impact resistance along the front for that special moment when your front tire decides to pick up a big ol' hunk of SPF and aim it right at your shin. About the only thing that keeps me from tossing my old MX boots and riding with the Danner's. I learned about that the hard way about three decades ago.
Back to top Go down
MNMike

PostSubject: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:30 am

I've been using a pair of Gaerne Explorers for 4 years. They're comfortable right out of the box, have great traction from the lugged sole, and they won't break the bank.
Back to top Go down
mx284

mx284

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 10:46 am

Gaerne SG10's worth every cent. Feels like a comfy sneaker. Hinged ankle makes it easy to walk.
Back to top Go down
Twistagrip

Twistagrip

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I have some Sidi Discovery boots that are great for walking probably upto a mile or two, they are hot but what boot isn't, and are cheaper than the crossfires, they have a traction sole so they are easier to walk trails in.

Sidi Discovery
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:03 pm

I have a pair of Alpinestars S-MX 2 Waterprroof boots and they are very comfortable. They are more of a street boot but I have been finding myself riding the R² in them quite often and they seem to be a pretty good DS boot too...

Boots you can walk in 224408_large
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:06 pm

I have had my eye on these for some time however. They are basically a shorty MX boot...

Boots you can walk in 201807_large
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 4:32 am

They're pricy fro sure, but take a look at the TCX Infinities:

http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/infinity_gtx_touring_motorcycle_boots.html

I like mine very, very much, they were ready for hiking right out of the box.

Sarah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:14 am

New Enough is a great place to buy gear from. I have made many purchases from them and they are my first place I look for stuff. Greeat service and a decent web site. I like the fact that they do their own reviews on each product and not just copy and paste stuff from the manufacturer...

Check em out at www.newenough.com

Oh yea, all stuff is brand new and NOT used or overstock or blems... it's just the name...
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 12:18 pm

SpaGuru wrote:
I like the fact that they do their own reviews on each product and not just copy and paste stuff from the manufacturer...

I have to agree on this.... their reviews are very detailed and different

In fact, I bought my A-star S1 suit after reading their review and pictures Boots you can walk in 810411
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 am

I wear sidi crossfires.. got them used a few years back, but even new they will last a long time & have replaceable parts. But i would not want to walk a couple of miles in them. I have climbed in rocks, waded across creeks, done a lot of walking along trails.. but if i was going on a destination type ride.. a fishing trip, etc.. I would carry another pair of walking shoes for the walk.

But for motorcycle riding, the crossfires are tough to beat for protection & comfort. They're pretty light weight & cool, too.

scotty Boots you can walk in Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 11:25 pm

I just got my Gaerne Balance boots today and I am soo happy. They are exactly what I wanted for a comfy dual sport boot. I already have MX boots for rough stuff, but didn't have any thing i'd wear on a long ADV journey.. and now I do.

I haven't rode in them yet but the fit and comfort are awesome, I'll spray them with some nikwax and see how they do in the elements, they look very good with jeans over them too as I walk around the house getting a feel for them.. but I have to say they are comfy right out of the box!

Got them from MotorcycleCloseouts.com @ $239, I wear a size 12 shoe and got a size 12US / 47 EUR and they will be perfect with a nice sock and/or sole insert.

Check them out, the other pair on my list were the TCX Infinity but went with these to save a little $$ and read good reviews on them from other ADV'rs.

Boots you can walk in 379944
Back to top Go down
essadv

essadv

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 12:09 am

I just got the Sidi Crossfire and agree with Rydnseek-they are superb on the bike and very comfortable off the bike Boots you can walk in 525406 . For any serious hiking I would take my Crossfires and riding pants off and put on my hiking boots. For me the protection is worth wearing the Crossfires all the time I am on the bike. They are comfortable and walk very well but I would probably limit the walking to a mile or so. When the soles wear out I will probably put Vibram soles on.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 pm

O'man. These are the kind of boots I was looking for back when I bought my MX ones. Don't get me wrong, I like my boots, but I would have paid extra for something like that.

*I won't be able to afford new boots for years (the ones I got will last that long), but someone needs to buy these and let me know.
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 10:33 pm

These look VERY nice and the price is incredible, $158!! I may pick up a pr just to test out!! Hmmm.... wonder how they are with water?
Boots you can walk in Axo-dart

inspector wrote:
O'man. These are the kind of boots I was looking for back when I bought my MX ones. Don't get me wrong, I like my boots, but I would have paid extra for something like that.

*I won't be able to afford new boots for years (the ones I got will last that long), but someone needs to buy these and let me know.
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Total dirt noob question - I've been riding with shorty Sidi street boots on the WRR and wanted to get something more protective for the dirt. I picked up a pair of Moose M1 boots and tried to go for a ride today in them.

Is it just because I bought ridiculously cheap boots or are all MX boot stiff as a ski boot? I get basically no ankle pivot ability with them on and they are so big I would have to reclock the shift lever by about 30 degrees to get them to fit under (and then use my whole leg to shift instead of just flicking my toe up).

thanks
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 4:39 pm

yeah thats the whole MX boot situation.. I have MX boots but really prefer a softer boot when dual sport'n. I have the Gaerne Balance boots and really love them, they feel great on the controls and are very comfy. Now they don't have protection as a MX boot, but I don't ride an MX bike nor my WR like a dirt bike soo.. works good for me.

Those Axo Darts look very good and probably very comfortable with a bit more support than the Balance I have, at almost half the price...
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 5:26 pm

toast wrote:
Total dirt noob question - I've been riding with shorty Sidi street boots on the WRR and wanted to get something more protective for the dirt. I picked up a pair of Moose M1 boots and tried to go for a ride today in them.

Is it just because I bought ridiculously cheap boots or are all MX boot stiff as a ski boot? I get basically no ankle pivot ability with them on and they are so big I would have to reclock the shift lever by about 30 degrees to get them to fit under (and then use my whole leg to shift instead of just flicking my toe up).

thanks

If I'm just around town, I'll use sneakers
If it's a day of street - twisties(which i don't really do on an R) I'll wear my Alpinestars Plus boots
If it's going to be in the dirt (even only gravel roads) I'll wear my AXO boxer boots.

Yes, MX boots are stiff. Ski boot was my first thought too. Everyone pounded into my head that they would break in, and they where right. Totally comfortable. Not like my other footwear, but....you know.

*I wish shift levers had more adjustment to them!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boots you can walk in   Boots you can walk in Empty

Back to top Go down

Boots you can walk in
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next