Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cowgirl

nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice Empty
PostSubject: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 3:34 pm

I've been running my X at the track for a couple of months now and I'm ready to pull the plug on a new exhaust. Right now my bike is stock except for the air box mod. It appears from reading this forum that the FMF Q4 is the exhaust of choice. I am looking for the quitest option. I know I will need a programmer as well. What advice can you give me? This is the first time I've modified anything on a bike so it's virgin territory (so to speak).
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 3:44 pm

QUIETEST??? Definitely the FmF Q4.

You race?

I'd go PCV for racing. Will give you the absolute most control. Add an Autotune and you've got it nailed.

Read around forum, there's other options, but for racing, and quiet, that's the way I'd go.

Are you a super SUPER-DUPER newb?

If so, you might want to go with a either an FmF programmer, or an Attitude Industries programmer. Or one like those two.

They are much less adjustable, and can provide a richer mixture, but they are definitely much more limited in how, when, and where they operate.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful. I wouldn't exactly call it racing - I think you have to be fast for that Very happy but I do attend weekly track sessions and I have been in one race. I've had several bikes over the years but this is my first track day bike and also the first bike I've tried any power mods on - I'm not scared of doing it just looking for the best options.

[img]nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice File-1[/img]
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:13 pm

What kind of budget you on?

Racing costs lots of money.

I had the addiction once:
nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EDFZRavatar

The PCV & Autotune combination cost lots of entry fees worth of money.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 pm

I'm just doing track days at the moment, the race was a one off, a unique opportunity that I couldn't pass up. I'd like to get a bit more out the X without going crazy expensive. I'm not going to do a big bore kit, but I thought exhaust, programmer, air box, stuff like that. I still ride it on the street too and swap out the street tires for dual sport tires for off-road. I just put Heidenau SM streets on it. It's my "learning how to do new things" bike.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Ahhhh.......

You might be more interested in these. <-- clicky

Or any FmF style programmer of your choice.

Basic settings that allow you to "set it and forget it" kinda thing.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Cowgirl

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks. The PCV is a much better unit though, correct? I'm not necessarily looking for easy, I do want to be able to maximize whatever performance I can get. From what I read the auto tune unit is optional, the PCV works fine without it, right? It can be set maually?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 pm

PCV offers almost infinite adjustment.

You don't NEED Autotune.

There are maps that can be downloaded to PCV via a computer/laptop.

Custom tuning can be done.

Much of the customization must be done with computer and then downloaded to unit.

Depending on where you buy the PCV, you can get it pre-loaded with a map that should work for your mods.

Changing to different maps requires a computer and usb connection.

If you don't have a laptop that could get a little tricky. Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Truly, you don't need the AutoTune module to make the PCV work, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

No map will work as well as the map you make yourself with the AT. It will be a custom fit for your moto. It will change over time according to ambient conditions and the state of tune of your motor (fuel quality, exhaust mods, air filter condition, etc).

No other map will reflect the AFR settings that you want, for each gear, each throttle position bucket, each RPM bucket.

You can make a map using the AT and not need to ever go near a dyno.
Actually, using a dyno would be counterproductive.

The cost of the AT over and above the PCV is relatively modest but the value added is huge.

Lastly, you don't need to know squat about engine tuning to set up the AT.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice   nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice Empty

Back to top Go down

nOOb looking for exhaust/programmer advice
Page 1 of 1