Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Larger Fuel tank!

Go down 
+39
malibu_dan
Machtig
greer
ed29
rpo83
hughtwg
griffin738
Akoffroader
wahilde
lancek
router.exe
2fiddy
derm75
Chadx
10Cup
motokid
fasteer
Longview
gkasper
Chrispy1200
Jäger
ADVJake
1moreroad
ZED
mwakey
asheville thumper
oldirt
SheWolf
INSTIGATOR
Cycletroll
Gargoyle
boogn1sh
scottmac
trlrunner
mtb
SteveRed
pete in atlanta
YamWOW!
Don T
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:03 pm

gkasper wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Can anyone else provide a link to the reference solution"?

skip down to post #15
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:07 pm

Oh crap...THAT solution?!! poser2 Mine matches my bike. thumb

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 IMG_0859

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Didn't mean to one up you Wolfie. Just thought that was what he was looking for. I like your matching blue bottle better than the ugly red MSR anyhow.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:23 pm

No worries, Mark. Very happy Mine's a SIGG. So far nothing had 'peeled' or 'disintegrated' with it, so I'll keep using it. I have 3 other bottles I can fill and toss into my backpack if I need extra fuel, or strap on the 2 gallon jerry can to the rear rack. thumb So far so good. wink

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 11:49 am

That looks great. How have you got that mounted at the bottom? It looks like it's got its own little bracket. I was thinking of mounting my MSR bottle the same way, but I didn't really want the bottom resting on the pin of the toolbox mount.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 12:03 pm

The bracket I utilized out of an old outdoor thermometer bracket. I lined the inside with rubber, drilled a hole on the one end so it would slide over the existing pin used to hold the tool kit in place.

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 IMG_0860

I also used the strap for the tool kit, and a couple of safety velcro straps to hold it there. The thing doesn't move an iota. thumb

fasteer

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 2:13 am

SW, that's a nice install: how much does it hold?
How do you go about filling it at a gas-station?

IMO, the Safari under development is too big.
Stock is 7.6 liters = 2 USG = 1.7 gallons (Canada, UK, etc)
Safari is 15 liters = 4 USG = 3.2 gallons (Cdn)
Ideal for the WRR might be 11.4 liters = 3 USG = 2.5 gallons (Cdn)

I have a 4-gallon (USG) Clarke on the DRZ & that's a lot of fuel to pack around.
Would be worse on a lighter, lower HP bike.

I know, I know; you don't have to fill it right up, but for me there is an overpowering psychological force at work: when I pull up to the pump, the tank ends up full.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:15 am

It holds roughly just over a liter,or 36 oz. I fill it up right alongside my bike when I tank up, and haven't had any troubles.

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 am

I wonder if there are any laws or restrictions in my stupid state about carrying gasoline like that on a street bike?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 am

Hard to say; I mean carrying gas in a plastic jerry can is legal...carrying it in a metal container? Years ago that's all there was and then they did away with it. dunno

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 am

motokid wrote:
I wonder if there are any laws or restrictions in my stupid state about carrying gasoline like that on a street bike?

There probably is, but most cops that I've met don't know what the rules are and if you're using common sense and a good bottle that's well secured I don't think you'll actually have a safety issue. I haven't mounted one yet, but that's my plan. My little 7l tank can't keep up with my wife's XT225 and her 9l tank. (She get's better milage too).
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Gas tank is in!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Just got a call from "Justgastanks" and my 4gal tank is in and I should have it by next week!! Will post pic's when I get it on.

Wooooooo Hooooooooooo
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Scottmac got his..... thumb

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 2:56 pm

fasteer wrote:

IMO, the Safari under development is too big.
Stock is 7.6 liters = 2 USG = 1.7 gallons (Canada, UK, etc)
Safari is 15 liters = 4 USG = 3.2 gallons (Cdn)
Ideal for the WRR might be 11.4 liters = 3 USG = 2.5 gallons (Cdn)

Looks like you almost got your wish (much to the disappointment of most other potential buyers). The safari tank's advertised capacity is down to 3.5 US gallons with actual user reports of 3.35 US gallons. For most users, $440 is a steep price for only getting an extra 1.35 gallons capacity. I would love a 4 to 5 gallon R² tank, and might even consider paying that steep price for it, but for me, an extra 1.35 gallons capacity isn't worth $440 when there are other solutions available (rotopax, MSR containers, etc.) Another side benefit for those solutions is leaving them off except when going on longer trips.

Weight isn't really an issue. At 68 degrees F, a gallon of gas only weighs 6.15 lbs, so even if the new tanks managed to hold an extra 1.5 gallons, that's only 9.2 pounds extra.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Oh yeah!
Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 008-1

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 009

My Safari tank arrived today and I wasted no time throwing it on there. Installation went off without a hitch following a write up I found on ThumperTalk. Here's the really cool part: 3.5 gal capacity! People on ADVrider and TT have reported experiencing less than the advertised 3.5 gal, usually in the 3.35 gal range. Not me! I put 16oz. in the tank, started it up and rode two blocks to the station and put in 3.45 gal, for a total 3.575 gal capacity! It's possible the pumps at my station are off, but not likely because there are inspectors for that. Perhaps the translucent tanks are bigger? scratch

I have a big trip coming up in just over a week and this was the final piece of the puzzle as far as gear went. Wasn't sure it would be here before I left. The trip still would have happened, but this makes me happy. wings
Back to top Go down
2fiddy

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 10:26 pm

Derm76 that looks great! Let us know what range you're getting with your new tank. Btw, what rims are those?
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 3:31 pm

those look like the smpro's sold by wheeling cycle supply
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Any way of making the larger gas tanks looks like they belong on the bike? Are they made in the same blue colour as the bike? Can the graphics stick to these new tanks also?

Love the look of the new bike but need a bigger tank... there is always a trade off... :)
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 4:33 pm

there's always krylon thumb
Back to top Go down
wahilde

wahilde

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:11 pm

derm75 wrote:
Oh yeah!
Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 008-1

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 009

My Safari tank arrived today and I wasted no time throwing it on there. Installation went off without a hitch following a write up I found on ThumperTalk. Here's the really cool part: 3.5 gal capacity! People on ADVrider and TT have reported experiencing less than the advertised 3.5 gal, usually in the 3.35 gal range. Not me! I put 16oz. in the tank, started it up and rode two blocks to the station and put in 3.45 gal, for a total 3.575 gal capacity! It's possible the pumps at my station are off, but not likely because there are inspectors for that. Perhaps the translucent tanks are bigger? scratch

I have a big trip coming up in just over a week and this was the final piece of the puzzle as far as gear went. Wasn't sure it would be here before I left. The trip still would have happened, but this makes me happy. wings

I received my tank two days ago -- same translucent white. I'm trying to install it, but I'm stuck on their instructions. Step 3 says "Fit up the relief valve baffle and cable tie it down into position (picture 4)" and picture 4 shows the u-shaped square piece of metal zip-tied to the fuel pump, but it seems to serve no purpose whatsoever. It doesn't hold down anything. Nothing connects to it. What the hell is a "relief valve baffle" anyway? Help! Please post a link to the Thumper Talk writeup on installing the Safari Tank on the WR250R/X. The rest of the instructions are OK, but this step -- well, I must be missing something.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm

wahilde wrote:

I received my tank two days ago -- same translucent white. I'm trying to install it, but I'm stuck on their instructions. Step 3 says "Fit up the relief valve baffle and cable tie it down into position (picture 4)" and picture 4 shows the u-shaped square piece of metal zip-tied to the fuel pump, but it seems to serve no purpose whatsoever. It doesn't hold down anything. Nothing connects to it. What the hell is a "relief valve baffle" anyway? Help! Please post a link to the Thumper Talk writeup on installing the Safari Tank on the WR250R/X. The rest of the instructions are OK, but this step -- well, I must be missing something.

I don't know what the purpose is, I just did what the pic shows...
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 pm

router.exe wrote:
those look like the smpro's sold by wheeling cycle supply

Those are the ones!
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:22 am

derm75 wrote:
wahilde wrote:

I don't know what the purpose is, I just did what the pic shows...

Would you please take it to a gas station and fill it from empty and take a shot of the pump display when it tops off and post the picture??? Getting reports of 3.35 to 3.75 gallon capacity from guys who have installed these tanks.

Thank you,

Greg
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Still waiting for my blue one I ordered in March. Every time I call it will be a week or two. GAHHHH I thought I had plenty of time before my Long trip with gas at some points 180 miles apart. It starts the 28th of August.

PostSubject: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Took my first long ride today with the new tank. Nice ride about, 140 miles. Looking at the bike when I got home, I noticed my Flatland Racing Radiator Guard was rubbing the tank. Shog Hadn't noticed that when I first installed the tank, fortunately it looks cosmetic so far, but I don't need any extra holes in the tank.. I pulled the tank off and bent the top back corner of the guard in towards the frame using a crescent wrench. Now it looks like this. Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 Radguardedit
Sorry for the blurriness, hard to get a clear pic in there. It was rubbing where that small black mark is that the arrow is trying to point at.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Larger Fuel tank!
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next