Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hot start issue

Go down 
+2
Fiftygrit
jmil
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jmil

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi all. New to me 2009 wrr, 9k miles, fmf pipe and header, power commander, flapper, exup, and canister removed. A couple times on trails, after switching the bike off for a minute, when I turned the key I would hear the fuel pump prime, but get no crank when I hit the starter button. After a few tries it did start. I haven't experienced this on the street, so I wonder if it's a heat issue? Battery looks good, connection clean. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Has the bike been to the shop for the stator recall.
Back to top Go down
APPLESEED 951

APPLESEED 951

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 2:46 pm

jmil wrote:
Hi all. New to me 2009 wrr, 9k miles, fmf pipe and header, power commander, flapper, exup, and canister removed. A couple times on trails, after switching the bike off for a minute, when I turned the key I would hear the fuel pump prime, but get no crank when I hit the starter button. After a few tries it did start. I haven't experienced this on the street, so I wonder if it's a heat issue? Battery looks good, connection clean. Thanks.

FIRST thing I would check is the starter push switch. Always start with the simple things that don't cost nothing but a lil bit of your time to investigate first. Connectors could be dirty. If not that then follow your wiring down from the switch and be sure that there are no cracked or frayed wires.
Back to top Go down
jmil

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 1:31 am

NHTSA site shows no open recalls for my VIN, so either the PO took it in, or it wasn't part of the recall. I checked the starter button connection. It looked good but I sprayed some contact cleaner in there anyway. Didn't see any visible fraying or corrosion down to the starter motor. Ground connections looked ok.

In trying to replicate the problem (which only happens occasionally), once or twice when I pressed the starter and got nothing, then pressed a bit harder, it started. I wonder if I'm just being too gentle with the starter button. I'll see if that helps going forward.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 11:53 pm

If you push harder and the switch works then it is dirty (bad contact). The only thing heat would effect is a circuit breaker which the start system doesn't have. You may need more contact cleaner and compressed air to clean the switch out. Maybe disconnect your battery while doing this
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 4:15 am

Fully disassemle the switch and clean it :)
Back to top Go down
jmil

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks guys. I'll tackle it this weekend.
Back to top Go down
ToddDubya

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 11:56 am

jmil wrote:
NHTSA site shows no open recalls for my VIN, so either the PO took it in, or it wasn't part of the recall. I checked the starter button connection. It looked good but I sprayed some contact cleaner in there anyway. Didn't see any visible fraying or corrosion down to the starter motor. Ground connections looked ok.

In trying to replicate the problem (which only happens occasionally), once or twice when I pressed the starter and got nothing, then pressed a bit harder, it started. I wonder if I'm just being too gentle with the starter button. I'll see if that helps going forward.

Check with Yamaha, too. Yamaha shows mine is part of the recall and has not yet been done but NHTSA says there are no recalls.

https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/ymus/common/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hot start issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot start issue   Hot start issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Hot start issue
Page 1 of 1