Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

The 2010 X Arrives :)

Go down 
+12
Medski
SuperSize
eyty
Vortac
mash100
Jersey Devil
X-Racer
deerHater
motokid
Matty
SheWolf
xcel
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Medski

Medski

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:17 am

It's one of the nice thing about Fuel Injection.. Elevation and outdoor Temp affects it a lot less.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi All:

Bringing this one up to date as I just arrived home from LA two days ago and am still catching up...

To begin anew, John Moulton of Glenrock Motorsports helped put the bike back to X-Country shape and away I went.

I rode back to Lusk, WY in order to start the segment just as I had finished before the Antelope Attack. After filling up at the exact same station and while riding back to Douglas, I had to take a pic of this. Notice the Population Very happy

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Lost_Springs_WY_-_Pop_1

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi All:

Douglas, Wyoming's Riverside Park has to be one of the best Campgrounds in all of WY. And can you believe it, they do not charge a cent!

2010 Yamaha WR250X in Camp Yamaha

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Camp_Yamaha_-_Douglas_WY
Douglas, WY's Riverside Park.

The North Platte River was soothing compared to the bikes drone and sleep was comfortable other than the 35 degree overnight temps :rolleyes:

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi All:

Douglas, WY to Powell, WY... The Sheep and Pronghorn Antelope were all over this route!!! One of the Pronghorn started running and would not jump the fence but paralleled me for about 1.5 miles before heading away??? I was traveling over 40 mph and the damn thing was running just ahead about 50 yards and to my right about 100 yards!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Garmin_Chosen_Road_with_Sheep
Sheep in my way until a few horn beeps cleared them.

As well as the sheep and Pronghorn, I let the Garmin loose w/ Fuel Efficient Route and this was the road. Notice the width and consistency? It ended ~ 10-miles later with a dead end fence scratch

After turning around, it wanted me to make turns back to the Interstate that were nothing more than paths! One did lead back to an open fence to an Interstate on-ramp.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi All:

The Campground in Powell was just OK so I did not take any pics… I found a patch of grass in the gravel RV Camping parking lot and that was it.

After leaving Powell, the Garmin did not want me to take WY 295 up to Red Lodge, MT for the start of the Beartooth even though my Atlas showed a nice route right into Red Lodge. Whoops, WY 295 did end at a refinery but I continued on for about 2-miles there was only dirt paths and oil well service paths in a 1000’ or more deep quarry. Not good. I headed back to the refinery to find another way as the Garmin was doing its Cow path road RE-ROUTE solutions AGAIN???

The Road… Ever try to run on a hardwood floor scattered with marbles? That is what riding a bike with road tires on gravel is like.

Anyway, heading back to the Refinery, I stopped to snap some pics of the road (refinery ahead) and the wildlife along the way ;)

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 When_WY_295_ended
The Refinery ahead... A Few cows and gravel as usual.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Cows_on_the_Dirt_Road
Cows and Oil Rig along the gravel road…

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi All:

I was back at the refinery when I saw a sign that said Red Lodge this way… The Garmin did not like it but what the hell, I am already about 15-minutes into this re-route non-sense :rolleyes:

I can see why so many Four Wheel Drive Trucks are sold in WY and MT if this is the standard ;) Anyway, instead of a nice pretty road with a beautiful sign saying welcome to MT, this is what I experienced. And the road of gravel and dirt for ~ 15-miles while heading North from where WY295 ended 😕

Ever try to keep your fuel economy up over 100 mpg while riding across this? Fortunately I had an ~ 10 to 15-mph tail wind which helped until I turned West towards Red Lodge.

Welcome to Montana!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Welcome_to_MT
Who said this was not going to be an Adventure Ride Very happy

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

Hi All:

On my way to Red Lodge, MT, I rode up on the Smith Mine Disaster. If you cannot read the sign, let me know and I can post an even closer shot.

Smith Mine Disaster

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Smith_Mine_Disaster

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi All:

This is a bit better...

Smith Mine Diaster Sign and Details

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Smith_Mine_Disaster_2

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi All:

If you have not ridden out west, the beautiful peaks go on for 100’s of miles! The pics cannot describe the vista’s…

2010 Yamaha WR250X and Montana

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Riding_up_to_Red_Lodge_-_MT_Beauty
A few miles outside of Red Lodge, MT looking south.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

Hi All:

Made it to Red Lodge, MT and does anyone notice the little sign to the left side of the pumps ;)

2010 Yamaha WR250X filled in Red Lodge, MT.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Red_Lodge_MT_Fill_-_No_Ethanol
No ethanol in Premium ;)

Wait until you see what that last tank allowed :)

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi All:

While the pics can in no way do the Beartooth justice, here is just a small inkling of what is up there! Pics are shown in the sequence taken and I took the best of the batch… Yeah, I know. I am not that great when it comes to pictures :(

Oh my, the Beartooth! Everyone needs to ride (or drive) this road once in your life!

The Beartooth!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_1
About 9,000 feet give or take…

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_2
Even higher!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_3
Looking over the edge at a Beartooth mountain lake.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_4
The WR250X climbs like a Billy Goat thanks to fuel injection.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_5
Above the last remnants of last year’s snowfall ;)

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_6
Off the road and at the top! 10,900 + feet.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_7
I Wish I had a wider angle lens to capture the true reality of the Beartooth Peaks!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 The_Beartooth_8
The WR250X can go where the cars cannot so I took it up there for these shots :)

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi All:

After the Beartooth and between Cooke City, MT and Yellowstone, I came across this. Anyone know what peak it is as it was really cool ;)

Peak on the way to Yellowstone

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Heading_to_Yellowstone

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Heading_to_Yellowstone_2
I liked this Shot for some reason ;)

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

Hi All:

And then we have Yellowstone. Pics do not do it justice either :rolleyes:

The Park was free to enter yesterday thanks to National Parks Day. I went to 5 Campgrounds in the park with all but Tower Fall’s either closed or full. WTF!!! Tower Fall’s was full but had two Bicycle/Hiker spots open and the Ranger said those are motorcycle spots so go ahead and take one. Just $5.00 too… No running water however, just Purell in the single Men’s/Ladies bathroom.

Yellowstone!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yellowstone_and_the_Buffalo
About 10 miles into the park and a whole line of cars were stopped by a Buffalo herd crossing the road.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yellowstone_s_Grand_Canyon
Yellowstone’s Grand Canyon.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yellowstone_s_Grand_Canyon_2
More…

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yellowstone_s_Grand_Canyon_3_Loking_back_at_Lower_Falls
Yellowstone’s Lower Fall’s can barely be seen at the top of the pic…

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yellowstone_and_the_Elk_in_Mammoth_Hot_Springs
WR250X and the Elk at Mammoth Springs.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yellowstone_-_North_Entrance
WR250X at the North Entrance.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yellowstone_-_Tower_Falls_Camping
Camp Yamaha at Yellowstone’s Tower Falls Campground.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi All:

And the real reason for the Cross Country Attempt.

The cumulative total FE so far:

"2010 Yamaha WR250X - 100-mpg X-Country Adventure Touring Project Bike FE Details"

Cumulative mpg: Total Distance = (3,070.3 miles)/Total Gallons = (28.738 gallons) = 106.838 mpg

That last tank was a blowout and I had a lot of headwinds too! You just have to love the low density air and non-ethanol laced fuel! And thousands of feet elevation climbs and descents allowing probably 20 to 30-miles of FAS'ed based riding. I was not sure if I was going to have another chance at a 300-mile tank so I risked it. The last 60 + miles were not only on low fuel but directly into a 15 + mph headwind!

With no ability to reproduce tables inthe WR forums, the individual actuals are located at the following: Re: 2010 Yamaha WR250X Adventure Touring Project Bike - X-Country at 100 + MPG

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi All:

Just as I am headed out to grab a bite and afterwards, pack up and get on my way, this was the Idaho crossing while on US 20. Just one more to go before reaching the coast!

Welcome to Idaho!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Idaho
Continental Divide – 7,072 feet.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi All:

Idaho has the sweetest smelling air. I do not know if its potatoes, sage or what it is but it’s just sweet.

Lava Fields in ID?

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Lava_Fields
Tens of miles of them and it looked like it happened just yesterday given nothing grows in it apparently?

Dan, I made it to Bend last night in fact and am on absolute fumes so the Quickway Market station sounds like the place to go in a few…

The place I stayed in Nampa had no Internet Access so am just now going to post a few… The access at the hotel I am currently in sucks too :rolleyes:

I stopped at Pro Moto Billet in Nampa and received a warm welcome from Ben Gowers, the sales director of a company that made the very pegs I am standing on and the rack my gear is stored on. I met the owner/inventor/engineer and CEO, Lynn Hodges as well as the entire staff. This is a really Great small company and I have over two hours of notes for a full write-up later.

CleanMPG’s visit to Pro Moto Billet

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 PMB_Ben_Gowers
Ben Gowers, PMB’s Sales Director with a marketing guy smile :)

FE is still up there but once the non-ethanol laced fuel was gone, the big numbers went away as I hit low fuel at just 187.x miles (208 + actual on ~ 2.0 gal) last night on the Jordan Valley, ID garbage gas :(

"2010 Yamaha WR250X - 100-mpg X-Country Adventure Touring Project Bike FE Details"

Cumulative mpg: Total Distance = (3,480.77 miles)/Total Gallons = (32.23 gallons) = 107.998 mpg
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi All:

More Idaho

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Idaho_Sunset
An Idaho sunset about 30-miles from Nampa, ID.

After visiting ProMotoBillet in Nampa, I came across this sign just before leaving town… Forgive them for they do not know what they do…

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 No_Roundabouts
No Roundabouts :(

And this was yet another one of those Garmin – No highways and shortest routes from Nampa to Bend OR :rolleyes:

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 WR_and_the_Canyon_near_Nampa

The Canyon was cool as hell but a car would never make it without a bunch of busted parts!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi All:

Welcome to Oregon!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Welcome_to_OR_2

With the last few bastions of civilization still in view, I saw the following along the side of the road.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_Cattle_Drive
Just cows on the side of this OR State Route, right?

Take a closer look…

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_Cattle_Drive_Closeup
Real cowboys driving their herd!

After leaving Jordon Valley, OR, you follow a short run on US 95 heading Southwest before heading Northwest on OR 78… Both are about as desolate as you care to get. Other than maybe US 50 or 6 in NV, this desert road was out there with no cars, trucks or bikes for 30 or more minutes between sightings! There were not even power lines or ranches for tens of miles to give you an idea as to how “out there” it really was.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_78_West_-_Desolate
OR 78 – Parked in the middle of the straight road and in the middle of nowhere.

When you are in the middle of nowhere, a sign, any sign is worth stopping to take a pic of I guess :)

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Pacific_Time_on_OR_78
PST – Set your watch back an hour.

Do we really need gas?

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Next_Gas_120_miles
120 miles of nothing between Burns and Jordon Valley, OR…

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi All:

Thanks to Dan (Wri Consult’s) scouting report, the WR received its last drink of non-ethanol laced fuel in Bend, OR before we would reach the Pacific. And she needed it too as I was deep deep deep into the low fuel range and on absolute fumes thanks to the E10 forced upon her in Jordan Valley. Although a bit expensive at $3.65 per, when you are at 110 to 120 + mpg while on it, the extra $0.45 per really does not add up to much ;)

Bend, Oregon

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Bend_OR_-_Non-ethanol
Who does not love it when you see a pump stating non-ethanol fuel!

Another highlight from the Bend, OR area was when I was able to meet up with Harold and Dave of Giant Loop. They are the ones who made the soft rear bag (the Great Basin) and the tank bag (Fandango) that made this ride easier and much more enjoyable. The rear soft bags helped protect the rear of the bike during the “Antelope incident” in Douglas, WY with not even a scratch to the rear! In addition to the carry everything without knowing its back there, the tank bag carrying all the quick get to items and the ability to be zipped off and carried into the eating establishment of choice was a perfect idea for this trip let alone many others to come…

Giant Loop Owners

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Harold_and_Dave_-_Giant_Loop
Harold and Dave of Giant Loop

Harold’s sunset orange BMW F 800 GS was sitting in the Giant Loop shop with its bright orange Great Basin and Fandango tank bag attached and I just knew it wanted to come along to finish out the ride ;)

Along with Dan’s pre-scouting of the McKenzie pass, Dave said, "You have to ride OR 242 up to the McKenzie pass as the road was brand new asphalt and was like riding on glass." I will have a full Review write-up on the Giant Loop Great Basin and Fandango tank bag later but as a prelude, this trip would not have been possible without hauling all the gear I did and the Giant Loop gear made it a dream.

And now for something completely different???

Next up was an interesting stop that has little to do with the Yamaha WR250X Adventure Review but is certainly worth telling people about. That is a small BBQ joint located in the heart of Oregon.

While in Dallas for the 11 F-150 Press Launch two weeks back, Jeff Johnston, a co-host of Rollin’ On TV out of Eugene, OR and I were talking about the last leg of the 2010 WR 250X’s journey. He said since you will probably be passing through Sisters, OR, you just have to stop by a BBQ joint next to a Shell Station in downtown. He was not sure of the name but it would be impossible to miss.

Meet Slick’s Que Co. in Sisters, Oregon

A BBQ place in Oregon? When I first heard of "a BBQ joint in OR", I thought of the old Picante commercial with a bunch of cowboys sitting around the campfire. It goes something like this:

Cowboy: Hey cook, more Picante sauce.

Cook hands cowboy a jar of “something”: Here

Cowboy: Hey, this isn’t Pace Picante sauce?

Cook in a grumbling tone: What’s the difference!

Second Cowboy reading the label: This stuff’s made in NY City?

Group of Cowboy’s stand up in unison: “NY City”!

A third cowboy says, “Get a rope”

Levity aside, my first impression was that Slick’s smelled great as I pulled into the parking lot with the smoker strategically placed out in front smoking tomorrow’s BBQ delights. As I pulled off my gear and walked in, my next thought was this really is an authentic Pit based BBQ establishment. The “Real Deal” in no uncertain terms to put it lightly! From the aroma of freshly smoked BBQ fixin’s to the thick picnic tables adorned with paper towels on the roll and even some light country music playing in the background, I knew this had to be good.

While trying to decide what to order, I was offered a sampling of their finest including Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork and Smoked Turkey Breast. All three were delicious with the Beef Brisket being my choice.

As I sat down to enjoy the best meal I had in weeks, I snapped a pic of the interior and pulled out my notepad to write down some thoughts on the character of the place. The owner’s wife Kim came over and we struck up a conversation about the BBQ establishment and of course my own X-Country ordeal. And this is what I discovered.

Kim asked how I heard of Slick’s and I told her about Jeff’s description of this must visit BBQ place. While Central Oregon probably does not conjure up the idea of great BBQ, its owner, Roy Slicker, currently sits on the board of National BBQ Association (yes, there is such a thing) and presides over the largest Western States district. Therefore he has to know what he is doing, right? I can say without hesitation given the taste of the “Que”, he most certainly does!

Slick’s Que Co – BBQ

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Sisters_OR_-_BBQ4
The mighty WR250X parked in front of Slick’s Que Co.

The restaurant was opened in 2009 and has quickly gained a reputation as a “must visit” place in central OR. One of the secret’s to Slick’s Que success is the founder’s absolute attention to detail. While I have little to offer as I am the last person on earth that could be described as a food critique (I have a hard enough time doing that with bikes, cars and trucks let alone my penchant for McDonald's and Burger King :rolleyes:), according to Slick’s, their BBQ is a “St. Louis-Texi-Memph” style mix served with simple sides and a drink in a Texas Southern Tradition.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Sisters_OR_-_BBQ2
Slick’s Interior

What really impressed me however was Kim’s description of Roy’s search to find the best “wood” to smoke the BBQ with. Roy travels as far away as Louisiana to pick up pecan wood which adds a slight "buttery flavor" to the meats being smoked. He also picks up apple wood from Washington State to add a slightly "sweet flavor". Quoting one of the menu boards slogans, “It’s like a rodeo in your mouth” was as true a saying as I have ever come across in my 48-years behind the dinner plate.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Sisters_OR_-_BBQ3
Kim Slicker of Slick’s Que Co.

Another story was while Roy was on the road (possibly in Louisiana again) when he came across one of the best bread pudding’s ever created. He asked the cook for the recipe and the cook said give me 4-hours of your time and you have a deal. After 4-hours behind the stove, Roy walked away with a recipe that truly is the “best bread pudding” I have ever eaten!

While I could write for another hour about Slick’s, if you have the opportunity to visit, a person you have to ask about is “Charlie”. Let us just say “Charlie” adds a little more than character to the place. Along with the family dog, “Charlie” is Roy’s constant road companion and provides laughter to all that have met him. Trust me; he will surely bring a smile to your face as well thumb

All in, "Damn that was good" is an understatement!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi All:

After the little sampling of BBQ, is anyone ready to hear about Oregon?

Wyoming provided a warm yet rustic appeal from its citizenry to its landscape. This included my close contact with the people in both Douglas and Glenrock as well as Yellowstone’s beauty which simply cannot be described in pictures or words.

Montana offered a more rugged perspective given the off-road miles ridden and the beautiful Mountain passes of the Beartooth.

Idaho offered a sense of entrepreneurship with ProMotoBillet’s excellent forward looking motorcycle and ATV products to Nampa, Idaho’s vibrant downtown and surrounding area.

And then we have Oregon. Following Dan’s suggestion to head south on US 95 into the Oregon desert, and back up towards Burns on OR 78, across US 20 to Bend, onto Sisters and up OR 242 through the McKenzie pass, following OR 126 to the Pacific coastal town of Florence, OR and afterwards, riding the 101 while following the Pacific Coast from Florence to Astoria proved to be a highlight of the crossing.

There is something about riding a motorcycle that cannot be described in words but only imagined by those that do not ride. Garth’s earlier post put it best when he said the following:
Quote :
Beatr911:

The sun is hotter, the cold is colder, the rain wetter and the scent of the land is stronger. Riding a motorcycle anywhere puts the rider in intimate contact with the surroundings. It can be mind blowing inspiring and it can break your bones. There is nothing like it.
Oregon was like the crescendo of the challenge ride with so many different topographies, microclimates, and overwhelming additions to the senses that can only be experienced by hiking, cycling or riding a motorcycle. Again, words will never be able to describe the sights, sounds, aromas’s and feel of what the state of Oregon has to offer unless you were to get out and as Dan would be inclined to say given his employment with Nike, “Just do it”!

The last leg, the final segment, the home stretch of the of 2010 Yamaha WR250X X-Country ride…

While I do not believe I have mentioned it previously, with temps in the mid-90’s, the Oregon desert’s sage was filling the air with a sweet aroma that surpassed even Idaho’s sugary smell. The quote above from Garth again comes to mind as the Hepa and carbon filtered air and environment we call the car will never allow in what cannot be described in words. The Oregon desert and Sister’s Slick’s Que Co BBQ was just the first of a multitude of overwhelming scents that was experienced while riding the 2010 Yamaha WR250X across the state.

Has anyone ever felt they were in the right place, at the right time and on the right mode of transportation to enjoy whatever vista was about to be unveiled? I felt this exact sensation when the WR250X began the climb to Oregon’s McKenzie Pass immediately after leaving Sisters, OR. It was late in the season as the pass will be closed in just another two or three weeks, very few people were on the route given the tourist season is over, the unseasonably warm temperatures made the ride that much more enjoyable and the panorama that was passed by was truly spectacular.

Oregon's McKenzie Pass

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_McKenzie_Pass_Redwoods
Parked on an almost empty OR 242 while enjoying the sights and smells of the Redwood forest during
the climb to the 5,000 + foot summit of McKenzie pass. The wood scent was stunning!

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_McKenzie_Pass_Lava_Fields1
Parked amongst the Lava fields near the peak of McKenzie Pass.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_McKenzie_Pass_Three_Sisters
Two of the three Sisters and just a small portion of the lava fields they produced!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi All:

After leaving the McKenzie pass with the 3,000’ climb behind me and over 5,000’ of elevation to fall from, the ride allowed ~ 15-miles worth of FAS based silent running while traversing switch back after switch back on my way West towards Eugene and the Pacific Coast. The 100 mpg run was all but guaranteed and all I had to make sure I did not ride off a cliff while enjoying the scenery, get hit by a cage on the last leg to the coast or heaven forbid get to know one of the larger indigenous species on a personal basis as I did in Wyoming :rolleyes:

The McKenzie River

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_McKenzie_River_Covered_Bridge
You do not see one of these everyday! I did not really concern myself with the “No Parking” sign
given the light traffic in late September ;)

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 OR_McKenzie_River
Following the McKenzie River for tens of miles… The leaves were changing colors
with many drifting down from their perches to the roadway ahead and behind.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi All:

And the final run to the Coast… While there was not much left other than to get through Eugene, OR as the sun began to set, a sense of accomplishment that the challenge set forth was a "Done Deal" began to be felt. The goal proved to be not only surmountable (I had my doubts after that 91 mpg tank in Iowa :rolleyes:) but the Yamaha WR250X bested my own expectations given the 102.x mpg it allowed over two tanks while being ridden to some of the more scenic areas of both Chicago and Milwaukee during our initial review ride.

As I rode through Eugene with a euphoric sense of accomplishment, another sense began to invade my psyche. That being that the hardest but best ride or drive of my life was nearing its conclusion. The only thing left to do was ride the last 50 or so miles to the coast, fill up and calculate the final tally.

Final Fill of the 2010 Yamaha WR250X 100 mpg X-Country Challenge Ride – Florence, OR.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Final_Fill_in_Florence_OR
Final fill in Florence, OR - 179.2 miles after 11.57% offset on 1.524 gallons of fuel = 117.6 mpg.

Cumulative mpg: Total Distance = (3,940.438 miles)/Total Gallons = (36.454 gallons) = 108.093 mpg

To see the tank results tally, the following thread includes the tabled results: Re: 2010 Yamaha WR250X Adventure Touring Project Bike - X-Country at 100 + MPG

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi All:

Now that the WR250X has reached the Pacific coast, what’s next?

After the Florence fill, I turned my attention northwards with a bit more relaxed riding style as the X-Country goals (100 + mpg and making it from Coast to Coast while loosely paralleling US 20) had been met. I still wanted to snap a pic of the US 20 Western most terminus which was in Newport 50-miles to my north, still wanted to get the WR250X onto a beach somewhere and snap a pic of it in the Pacific and then take a little ride up to Seattle to see Dan (Wri Consult), Garth (Beatr911) and a UK Times reporter if any of them were available and then ride back down the coast towards LA to drop my trusted steed back off at Yamaha’s HQ in Cyprus, CA where her own journey began just a few months prior.

Immediately heading north along the Oregon Coast on US 101, the fog was growing thick. I reached Newport but by the time I did, the fog was so thick it was all but raining and I could not keep my shield clear. Riding with my shield up for about 3-miles was the best I could do to keep the road in sight so I was essentially out of action and stopped for the night. Not being able to see the Pacific anyway, it was probably for the best but it set me behind yet another day just as the looping of Yellowstone added a day to my travels…

I took some pics of the WR250X parked at the corner of the US 20 and US 101 junction but the pics were night shots with nothing really discernable...

2010 WR250X and US 20 - The Beginning and the End

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 WR_on_Hwy_20_in_Boston
US 20 West in Boston, MA.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Newport_OR_-_US_20_East_Begin
US 20 East in Newport, OR.

Looking back, it did not seem that long of a ride but I had three breaks (collar bone included ;)) to get across.

While I was looking for a beach to snap a pic of the WR250X in the ocean, I was also looking for beachgoers that could possibly snap a pic of me and the WR at the water’s edge just as the woman did when we left on the Adventure Ride in Hull, MA just outside Boston, MA. Fortunately, I came across a somewhat populated public beach in Rockaway, OR and there was an older gentleman and his wife that not only were helpful in taking some pics but had a large rock that I could use to get the bike to stand on its own kickstand in the soft wet sand.

The Beginning and the End

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 WR_and_in_the_Atlantic
The Beginning - Parked in the Atlantic Ocean in Hull, MA.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Riding_into_the_Pacific_Rockaway_OR_2
The End - Parked in the Pacific Ocean in Rockaway, OR.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 WR_and_I_in_the_Atlantic
An unknown creature was seen coming out of the Atlantic Ocean this past August…

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Riding_into_the_Pacific_Rockaway_OR
The same unknown creature was seen entering the Pacific Ocean late last week Very happy

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi All:

Goals continue to be met and now all there is left is the ride to a destination and the sightseeing… And once again, pictures and words cannot describe the beauty of the rugged but beautiful Oregon coast.

After finding a place in downtown Newport the night before, I had a pleasant sleep and waited until the fog burned off the next morning in order to see what beauty that Oregon’s Pacific Coast would provide… And boy oh boy was the ride and the view out of this world! Curve after coastline curve with a new view of the Pacific with each turn of the bars.

The Pacific along Oregon’s Coast

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Pacific_off_OR_coast
Just one of hundreds of overlooks and a straight out look into the deep blue Pacific.

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Looking_back_at_OR_coast1
Looking back at the Oregon Coast… What a view!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi All:

After passing through Astoria, OR, I began heading west on US 30 towards the faster but far less scenic I-5 while headed to towards Seattle. Dan and Krissy invited me up to stay with them at their vacation home on Whidbey Island for the evening. As dark took over the day, I reached the ferry in Mukilteo, WA for my first ferry ride across Puget Sound. While it was night, I had no idea what was in store the next morning and I am still ticked I did not take a single pic of their backyard view over the Sound with Mt. Baker in the background :ccry:

The WR250X goes on a Ferry Ride

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Ferry_to_Clinton_WA
I really need to learn how to focus this Canon manually in strange lighting :rolleyes:

Dan, Krissy, their son Johann and their dog Rocky (I think their pup’s name was Rocky?) were there to greet me as I rolled into the neighborhood. And although already late in the evening, they waited to have dinner until I arrived.

And I was provided yet another fantastic feast! Maybe I simply ate too many breakfast bars and fast food on the way across but excellent BBQ the day before and real home cooked dinner and a huge breakfast the next morning was a welcome addition to the end of the Adventure :)

That night, Dan and I stayed up until almost 04:30 AM while having the best and most engaging conversation I have had had in months. While way too late for the next day’s almost 1,200 mile ride to LA, I would not have given up that time for anything in the world. Thank you Dan for the hospitality, discussion and view that I wish we all had a chance to experience when we wake up in the morning Very happy

Dan (Wri Consult’s) Family

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Johann_-_Dan_-_Krissy_-_Rocky
Johann, Dan, Krissy, their dog Rocky

After saying my goodbyes, it was time to hit the road and hit it hard. The Garmin showed 1187 miles to Cyprus, CA and it was already noon with a wait for the Ferry and ride across the sound before I could really get moving. In addition, it was Friday (think Rush hour) and I was going to try and meet up with Garth in Olympia, after traversing downtown Seattle on the I-5. I had already decided it was best to skip meeting with Mark Harris of the UK times so off I went.

I was on dry land and moving out by 01:05 PM and got into Olympia by 02:30. Well after my intended meet with Garth so that was a lost opportunity. I still have to apologize to Garth for that one…

And the ride was almost a blur and not a very fun one at that by comparison to my previous weeks with the WR250X. Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia, WA as well as Portland, OR were in my rear view well before sunset. Portland traffic on late Friday afternoon was a bit intense but nothing I have not experienced in Chicago thousands of times before… Eugene was hardly a bump in the road as the time flew with the only time to rest when I filled with fuel.

Through the evening, Medford was reached and into the wee hours of the morning, Redding, CA was in my sights.

Somewhere about 100-miles north of Sacramento, my Gerbing’s heated gear controller gave out. It is still in CA and until I get it back, I will not know what went or maybe it was a simple connection. In any case, I decided to stop for a few hours (almost 4 to be exact) of rest on a picnic table at a Rest Area on I-5. I woke up to the sun just creeping over the horizon and began the trek anew.

Sacramento, Stockton and Bakersfield came and went and while crossing the Tejon pass, the Garmin showed 1,091 miles traveled as the clock ticked by the 01:05 PM starting point from the day before. That is the farthest I have ever ridden in just 24-hours and was actually easier than the WR250X’s first Iron Butt ride from Chicago to Boston which was performed two months prior.

With a little rain on the pass to wash 5,000 miles of road grime and dust off the bike and myself, it was down into LA where Lane splitting helped me though traffic jam after traffic jam. Riding a bike in LA is like no other experience on the North American Continent. “Amped up” would be just a mild description of what it is like to slice and dice with the cagers at 70 + mph on a wall to wall packed Interstate system.

I reached Yamaha HQ at 03:10 PM (an hour early actually!) where Yamaha Security was waiting for my arrival.

It is sad to say goodbye to a trusty steed

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Yamaha_HQ_in_Cypruss_CA
The mighty 20101 Yamaha WR250X at Yamaha HQ in Cypress, CA.

I pulled all the accessories off that I could leaving the pegs and tank for their techs as I sent the OEM gear to Yamaha a month ago and did not have access to complete the conversion. At ~ 05:00 PM, I said goodbye to the WR for the very last time and headed off to a bus stop in order to get back into downtown LA to meet up with Tarabell for the night.

LA Public Transit System -- Let us just say I love the LA public transit system as you can traverse the entire county to get from point A to B. The time to travel those 25-miles on three different busses exceeded 3-hours however… I was grateful for the ride in any case.

The next dinner -- After arriving at Rani’s home in downtown, she suggested we go to a local Korean restaurant. Not being a connoisseur of Korean cuisine, I had no idea what I was in for but just like the BBQ in Sisters, OR and both the dinner and Breakfast at Dan and Krissy’s vacation home north of Seattle, I was in for yet another treat!

While I still cannot pronounce the name of the dish, it was a fantastic soup with chunks of Prime Rib, bamboo shoots, noodles and some kind of green vegetables thrown in for good measure. In addition, there was a sampling of 7 or 8 dishes on the side with 5 of them being to fantastic for words. I hope the next time we are all out in LA we can visit the same place again!

With almost 1,200 road miles and 4-hours of sleep behind me, 2-hours of wrenching on and under the bike with the broken wing on a cement floor, a 3-hour + bus ride and a dinner meant for a very overweight king, I was simply exhausted Very happy

Early the next morning, it was off to LAX for a noon flight (a seat was broken and we had head winds so did not get in until almost 07:00 PM) and yet another BBQ dinner (A local place called Famous Dave's) with my mom and aunt as they picked me up from Milwaukee’s Mitchell field.

Tarabell at her home in LA

The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Rani_at_her_home

The only thing left are the conclusions...

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The 2010 X Arrives :)
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next