Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!

Go down 
+89
Mr.Metal
SoupSandwich
mtb
RichardU
okdq
GsVs
RimBenty
Crawdaddy
mnormand
jimrobinette
DS-Jack
kjharn
gas_pig70
1moreroad
Machtig
Medski
john92
riata
TierHawg
e010584
mhm2a
cryptomundo
Farmer17
simonpig
IfuleU
flatboarder
eakins
blaisew
seattlechronic
KLRchickie
Hetch
BigBird
acmebot
oldirt
Scharcon
Berwyn Henderson
Racer83
vwsandman
msfagnani
abchel
MeefZah
PooTeeTat
bikepsych
Dancamp
SteveO
jviz1
router.exe
duanew
jonny-NITRO
xcel
picard
andrewlat
Hertz
D-Rail
ZED
taoshum
PYG RYDR
matttys
Cool#9
njbill
Akasy
malibu_dan
Joe Dirt
Ryan Nelson
Big-t
granite4brains
skierd
Jellyhead
aaronhall555
texasreb
Corprin
Twinct
superbee24
toast
SpiritWolf15
sswrx
R_Lefebvre
jlpred
3KGT_Maddness
X-Racer
clint
Trailmoto
2goose
Ozy
Matty
rydnseek
motokid
deerHater
SheWolf
93 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:37 am

That would be much appreciated. Looks like the 3 gallon should be in stock November 1st (justgastanks), and I'm fairly ready to pull the trigger.

KLRchickie wrote:

If no one else can answer this question, we *will* be able to as soon as we do the install. We will be weighing both, empty.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 am

Why can't you just order the tank from IMS themselves?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Err... valid point. For some reason I thought justgastanks was the place to get it. dunno

john92 wrote:
Why can't you just order the tank from IMS themselves?
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Wheeling has the 3 gallon posted on their site for $274.95
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:58 pm

And I just went to IMSproducts.com and they have the tank listed as well for the same price as wheeling.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Just curious, how does the handling of the bike feel with the extra gallon of gas up there? On dirt, that is ..

Also, what kind of riding is getting you guys over 50 miles per gallon? I'm getting pretty close to empty on the 2.1 gallon around 80-85 miles. We're mostly dirt and ride a little hard, but nothing super aggressive.

Lastly, it sounds like the overall consensus is that this is a good tank? I was thinking of ordering one, but all the posts about leaks, is making me nervous?

Back to top Go down
okdq

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 5:34 pm

I did quite a bit of very rough and fast riding last Thursday thru Saturday - lots of large rocks on steep terrain and lots of fast paced fire roads that were pretty rough, too. It was rough enough that one of the mirrors on my Highway Dirt Bike Hand guards cracked and fell out without any direct impact to it! Anyway I had the 3.1 gallon tank and it was full for much of the rough stuff and I didn't find any noticeable difference in handling by going from the stock tank to the ims tank.

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 Clayton
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: geezer ride   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Just rode about 400 miles using the new 3 gallon IMS tank. Completely off-road from Taos to La Cueva, about 50% gravel roads that a 2WD PU could use... about 30% rough roads that a 4WD PU could use in low range; remainder was narrow and rough enough that very few vehicles except motos could use. Got about 65mpg, reserve light went on at 150 miles... probably could have made 170 on fumes. No leaks, no seeps, no weeps using the stock seal. I carried the new o-ring just in case. Took us about 10 hours to go 180 miles on first day. Little bit of rain near the end. Big rain that night so we took the tarmac back to avoid the deep mud. Average age of this group of four was 74. Honda XR400, two KTM 525's and one WRR. WRR did just fine. Larger tank did not seem to make much/none difference in handling. Suspension is set for "soft" but didn't bottom out once.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Mmm. I'm about ready to order the Highway Dirt Bike set-up. Not encouraged to hear one broke without even a spill. The whole idea of those things is to keep them safe on dirt. dddog
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Mmm. I'm about ready to order the Highway Dirt Bike set-up. Not encouraged to hear one broke without even a spill. The whole idea of those things is to keep them safe on dirt. dddog

I don't understand your comment. Nothing broke??????????
Back to top Go down
okdq

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:08 pm

gatorfan wrote:

I still highly recommend HDB handguards. I was hitting lots of overhanging limbs that kept knocking the mirrors because I had them up to try to keep tabs on the riders behind me. The mirror likely got damaged by a limb but finally cracked and broke when riding rough fire roads. If I had folded the mirrors down probably never would have happened. I love my HDB guards - it is an excellent product.
Back to top Go down
e010584

PostSubject: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Crack / Tooling Mark   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 12:50 am

Anybody else have what looks like a small crack on the left side of the filler neck? I installed mine under less than ideal light conditions and noticed it the following morning thinking at first it was a small piece of debris bu wouldn't wipe away. The folks at IMS are indicating this mark is present on all the tanks as a result of a tooling issue butI was wanting to see if others have the same issue. I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Hmmm...neither the tank that is on the bike or the replacement tank that just came have that on them. IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 29721

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Quote :
the replacement tank that just came have that on them.
So why do you have a replacement tank - inquiring minds want to know? scratch
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 9:07 pm

okdq wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

I still highly recommend HDB handguards. I was hitting lots of overhanging limbs that kept knocking the mirrors because I had them up to try to keep tabs on the riders behind me. The mirror likely got damaged by a limb but finally cracked and broke when riding rough fire roads. If I had folded the mirrors down probably never would have happened. I love my HDB guards - it is an excellent product.

Thanks for that reply. Will pull trigger tomorrow. cheers
Back to top Go down
e010584

PostSubject: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Crack / Tooling Mark   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 12:37 am

Here's an image to show what I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/N7iXn.jpg

IMS is indicating this is on all of them.

So what is the story on the "replacement" tank?

Thx,

John
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 12:54 am

Nope, can't say mine has that. Suspect I was told by Chuck I'd be getting a new one back when the leak first started to appear. This was before the o-ring fix had transpired and figured it would be cheaper than sending the original one back and forth.

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 5:29 am

e010584 wrote:

Thx,

John

My natural does not have that.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 am

e010584 wrote:

Thx,

John

I don't think mine has that but I haven't specifically looked for it so I could have missed it.
It just looks like a casting flaw to me. As long as it isn't a crack where fuel can leak out I wouldn't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
e010584

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am

Being on the top of the tank, leakage doesn't appear to be a issue but it certainly is the worst place for aesthetics. IMS's claim is that it is a casting flaw based on a tooling anomaly and is present on all tanks, but nobody else has been able to confirm that yet. I'm confident IMS will stand behind the tank should it crack through and I was just looking to confirm their contention. Beyond the cosmetics, the "flaw" will certainly serve as a natural crack initiation sight based on notch sensitivity (Kn), but I would hope the material chosen isn't overly sensitive. Typically, it is better to blend such a feature out as long as it doesn't consume more than 10% of the material thickness.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 11:54 pm

I doubt this material will develop a fatigue crack through normal use until it is well aged and the UV has taken it's toll. Most people won't have their bikes by then.

I had meant to take a close look at mine today but forgot. It's now on the bike. I'm hoping to get enough time/weather this week to burn through the first tank so I can post some stats.

Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:25 am

e010584 wrote:
Beyond the cosmetics, the "flaw" will certainly serve as a natural crack initiation sight based on notch sensitivity (Kn), but I would hope the material chosen isn't overly sensitive. Typically, it is better to blend such a feature out as long as it doesn't consume more than 10% of the material thickness.

Nerd alert. Very happy
Back to top Go down
e010584

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 10:26 am

Busted. Now you know why the wife tells everyone I'm a plumber for fear they find out I'm an engineer.
Back to top Go down
gordo5

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:56 am

Mr.Metal wrote:
Maybe I missed this somewhere, but... is there any weight saving between an (empty) stock tank and the IMS 3.1 gallon tank? I realize 3 gallons of fuel is heavier than 2 gallons of fuel, but I'm wondering about just the tanks.

Does anybody know on this one? I haven't been able to find this info anywhere... I spent a day on a wr250f a couple of weeks ago and just loved how light it felt, so I'm thinking of shaving weight were ever I can. I know I won't get it anywhere near the 250f's 240#, but I'm hoping I can find close to 10 pds.

I'd use up a gallon getting to the trails, so I'd end up carrying about the same amount of gas there anyway, thinking of weight.

Edit: Ideally, it would be great to get weight comparisons with and without the gas cap. ;-)
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 11:21 am

When we swapped my tank we did a bunch of weight comparisons but I haven't got them written down with me. I know the total difference was the IMS tank being about 600g lighter. At some point I'll dig up the rest of the numbers and post them.

As for getting the WR250X/R down to 250llbs, forget it. At last weight I got mine down to 289. I don't think there's much left to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 24 Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!
Page 24 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next