Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
deerHater

IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? Empty
PostSubject: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 am

I just installed my 3.1 IMS, and I notice the tank does not want to go (I don't want to force it) completely down to the frame at the front mounting bolt. Did anyone use extra washers there with their install?

It's not much of a diference, I was able to remount all the plastic panels with the front tank bolt not completely tightened.

TIA...

Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Do not force things into place, pull the tank and take a very close inspection and fitment, look under the tank for fuel lines, wires or any other obstructions that may prevent the tank to drop in place. Go back through the IMS 3.1 installs, you may find some info that might help you, there were variations in manufacturing, but no one has had to washer or shim anything to fit the tank.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 5:27 pm

lots of variations in these plastic tanks.. don't worry at all about tightening it down. It will move & then conform to the bolt pattern. I had to do that when i put on my 3.1. When i took it off to put in the bigger washer/oring (the first ones did not come with the o-rings), it stayed in the right shape & went back on with no problem.

This is an issue with all bikes with plastic aftermarket tanks. If it's just 1/4" or so, nothing to worry about. it will give & be fine. Now if it's real distorted, & inches off, send it back for another.

I had the same with the 4.75, & iirc, my acerbis on my drz many moons ago. They are like 'shrink to fit' jeans. they will do some final molding to your bike.

But old dirt is right about being sure there is nothing in the way, preventing it from going into place.. make sure you've got everything clear.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks.

I did slowly tighten it down, then went for a 15 mile shakedown ride. All is well.

I did notice that there is maybe (imagined) a slight vibration resonance.

That my be related to a 2.5 inch V-shaped rubber spacer that I found on the garage floor about where I worked on the instal. Shog Anybody know what that might be? I didn't notice it in my shop manual.
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 pm

That little "V" shaped rubber spacer goes on the inside of one of your side panels (they both have one) you took off to install the tank.
They go where the side panel has the vents for either the radiator or the capacitor.
Very common for it to fall off on removal. Just figure out which side, remove that side panel and slip the spacer back on.
I'm not really sure what they do but I'm sure Yamaha had a good reason to put them there.

They are item #21 here.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/SIDE_COVER/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/50/Year/2009/ModelID/8779/Model/WR25RYCL_WR25RYL/GroupID/424244/Group/SIDE_COVER

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 pm

spadgitt wrote:
That little "V" shaped rubber spacer goes on the inside of one of your side panels (they both have one) you took off to install the tank.
They go where the side panel has the vents for either the radiator or the capacitor.
Very common for it to fall off on removal. Just figure out which side, remove that side panel and slip the spacer back on.
I'm not really sure what they do but I'm sure Yamaha had a good reason to put them there.

They are item #21 here.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/SIDE_COVER/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/50/Year/2009/ModelID/8779/Model/WR25RYCL_WR25RYL/GroupID/424244/Group/SIDE_COVER
Excellent! I didn't think to check the plastics, I thought it came from under the gas tank somewhere.
If you're ever in Ottawa, your dutch is on me!
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:42 pm

No problem.
Glad to help out.
I've chased those things around my garage bunches of times.....
Now I've got the IMS 4.75, so I was able to jetison the side panels thumb

Never been to Ottawa. Been to Toronto for a bike show once and had a good ole time.
If I get up there, I'll take you up on your offer.

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 pm

oldirt wrote:
but no one has had to washer or shim anything to fit the tank.

Really?!

There's a washer under the front of my 3.1 gallon tank. The tank just would NOT sit down properly, no matter how much trimming of rubber underneath & fiddling about with things we did. We had installed Zed's tank first with less difficulty - then looked again & saw that his Scott's steering stabilizer has an ear that goes under the tank. So, anyone with that style of stabilizer installed has also, effectively, installed a washer under the front mounting tab of their fuel tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??   IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt?? Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 3.1 install, need washers on front bolt??
Page 1 of 1