Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Old guy - new rider has question

Go down 
+7
Jäger
bruno
cryptomundo
greer
bsheet2
YZEtc
bmwrider1946
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bmwrider1946

Old guy - new rider has question Empty
PostSubject: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:01 am

I purchased a WRR a few weeks ago with the intent of riding forest service roads, non paved roads etc. My first experience in NC last week was a blast for me. Got completely lost and had a great time finding my way back home. Based on the videos that I see here and on other boards I am guessing this would be considered very easy by most here. My question is am I in the vast minority or are there at least a few other like minded riders lurking about. Its not that I don't think the crazy stuff looks like fun, its just that I am not willing to take the bumps a bruises that developing that level of skill would involve.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:22 am

My opinion is that you are in the majority of people that buy a WR-250R.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:49 am

The WRR is a great bike for your stated purpose.

I have a heavier dual sport bike that is better for hiway and a bit more comfy on long trips. It will carry more gear. It is still very good on gravel roads and such that are not too nasty. I got a WR250R because I found myself wanting to do more rugged terrain and soft sand. At over 100 lbs lighter in weight and more travel in the suspention than my other bike, the WRR is a sweet machine. I am fine with it on single track and the rougher stuff. But she will still cruise down the hiway in pretty good shape. I am in process of down sizing the gear I will carry for camping on a trip.

I am 56 years young and the rougher terrain is just too tempting to pass up. You have a great bike that will carry you just about anywhere you want to go.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Easy suits me just fine.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 pm

the most important thing is that your having fun .. easy can be as much fun as crazy .. also i would not shy away from crazy, you might find it fun, just dont try to set any speed records .. have fun with it thumb
Back to top Go down
bruno

bruno

PostSubject: A new reason to live   Old guy - new rider has question EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I bought a WRR shortly after seeing this UTube video.
I love it ! But, after a certain age we don't repair very well after a crash, so enjoy the ride, but try not to break a collar bone.

https://youtu.be/vksdBSVAM6g
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 pm

bmwrider1946 wrote:
My question is am I in the vast minority or are there at least a few other like minded riders lurking about.
The go-fast, gnarly gets most of the attention and the coverage. But I suspect the great majority of WRR riders are basically backroad wanderers just like you.

I know I am.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Bmwrider:

There is no place to get wild in Florida anyway. You are going to be slogging around the sand and mud in Florida forest -swamps. There are no rocks and no hills.

The good news is that falling in the sand or mud is easy on the bike and body.

The bad news is you need to worry about getting bit by a snake, eaten by a gator or shot by a forest dwelling old cracker.

Enjoy!

Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 am

gatorfan

I am probably as old or older than the cracker so hopefully he would take pity but since the gators prey on the old and slow I could have a problem there.

I do appreciate everyone's comments and encouragement. If there are any like minded riders on the west coast of Florida who would like to "show me the ropes" please send me a pm.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Ive got a dedicated dirt bike thats 70lbs lighter and more than twice the power. I figured I would get the X and ride it street, have my dirt bike for the off-road stuff. The dirt bike hasn't moved in months. I've been slogging through the woods on the little X and enjoying it just as much. A lot of it is just the maintenance. The dirt bike is always needing something. This thing I can just jump on and go. It never asks for anything except the occasional oil change. Not to mention, no bother with truck, tie downs, loading, unloading, etc... Convenience and reliability are very strong awesome traits that I never appreciated until I experienced them first hand. I always wanted the fastest no compromise bad arse toy. Maybe I'm just getting older lol.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Nothing fun about being lost...maybe after you find your way. On the wrr you can get lost way the frig out somewhere, so a serious concern. It can be empowering or frightening...sometimes, takes a bit of both to be fulfilled.
But exploring responsibly can be the best times you ever had.
Exploring your riding limitations/skills is the same deal. A lil scary, fulfilling or even not worth it...thats up to your mind to decide.
Me...this is my first season on the wrr. I cant lift the front wheel at whim or jump anything worth mentioning.
Though my bike is the perfect tool, at hand, to explore alot of what I've been missing/wanting.
So far I've made it to work every day...but still cant wheelie. I'll have to work those issues out over time.
My bike is more than patient enough to wait for me, so...
Depends what my mind wants most.
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm a 56 YO dirt noob and had looked at KLRs, WeeStroms, etc., but wanted something a bit more capable in the rough stuff. After all, lots of roads don't truly just END- they just keep getting smaller and smaller... Anyways, I bought a WRR, added a few accessories and I'm having more fun than ever. I'm also doing trails with this bike that, maybe at my age, are truly stupid. Rolling Eyes Hey, I'm not racing and, at least if I go down, it will be a low- or no-speed get-off. I've lost the bike a couple of times in the mud but only really took a tumble once. I have all the personal gear and have not been hurt at all (yet).

The one thing that I'm admittedly squeamish about is hurting the machine in some rough stuff. I go on rides where, it seems, the majority trailer their bikes in- it's handy if you break something. I ride in and have to ride back home so I can't afford to be reckless with the bike. Knowing that tends to keep my speed down (well, that and little skill!). After going on a few organized rides, I know that biggest limitation of my bike is the rider. I do so much wrong but the bike usually covers up my mistakes. Yamaha made an absolutely great machine here. I'm still trying to improve myself to the point that I'm worthy of it. So far, I'm nowhere even close, but I'm still having fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old guy - new rider has question   Old guy - new rider has question Empty

Back to top Go down

Old guy - new rider has question
Page 1 of 1