Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Suspension Stuffz

Go down 
+3
CurtisC
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Anyone modded out their suspension? I've installed the Yamalink, slid the forks thru the triple clamps and set the sag along with screwing in the shock mount.

Suspension Stuffz IMG_0814

Suspension Stuffz IMG_0813

SpiritWolf15

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 2:20 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Anyone modded out their suspension? I've installed the Yamalink, slid the forks thru the triple clamps and set the sag along with screwing in the shock mount.

Looking good there momma wuff =3
Back to top Go down
CurtisC

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 pm

were you able to move the fork tubes up easy or was it hard to do? I was going to try it but they didn't move very easy so I thought I would wait and get some input.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 7:06 pm

The forks should move without too much effort. Here's how we adjust the fork height on my wife's KLR.

With the wheels on the ground and holding the bike up, loosen all the pinch bolts on the triples to just snug. Then loosen all but one on each side. Now carefully loosen the last two bolts and gently push the front down. Some wiggling and force may be required. The trick is not to slam it down to far.

The WR works the same. It may take a bit of wiggling. I've had the forks out to change the fork oil. It made for much smoother fork action.

I have also had the rear shock out when I lubed the swing arm, but I'm not going to take it apart myself. This winter I'll send it to someone to rebuild for me.
Back to top Go down
greer

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 am

Mine took some pushing on the bars to get them to move. Once they broke loose it was easy to get them just where I wanted.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:50 pm

Yamalink, set preload on spring light, threaded in the rear shock turnbuckle mount, moved front shocks up through the triple clamps like SheWolf & had a lower seat made by Corbin.
Back to top Go down
CurtisC

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:35 pm

What is the recommended starting point or height to move front forks up in the clamps? 10MM or what worked good for others out there?
Back to top Go down

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:48 pm

I moved mine up 10mm and lowered the stock shock clevis and set race sag at 3.5" and my ride height became perfect.

One word of cauation - I would not recommend loosening all the pinch bolts without a jack or stand under the bike to prevent the bike from falling too far down. Mine fell easily. Sometimes a screwdriver or pry bar in the "pinch gap" of the clamps is needed but watch out...
Back to top Go down
CurtisC

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 2:38 pm

thanks, did you also add the Yamalink or just the stock option lowering. I am also adding the yamalink because I am only 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I allready did the rear shock stock option and sag but not the forks or yamalink yet.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Go for the Yamalink. It makes it much easier to reach the ground without having to max out the travel on the stock suspension. I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam & I can now get both balls of my feet on the ground. Sag setting for me is insignificant because I only weigh 145 & the suspension only compresses 1.8 inches when I sit on the bike, so even with the lightest setting on the spring it won't compress much for me. I think you would appreciate the Yamalink though.
CurtisC wrote:
thanks, did you also add the Yamalink or just the stock option lowering. I am also adding the yamalink because I am only 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I allready did the rear shock stock option and sag but not the forks or yamalink yet.
Back to top Go down
CurtisC

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 4:28 pm

I bought the yamalink and will install it on Saturday and also raise the forks in the triple mount to 10mm. My sag is at 3'1/4 at this time so it is fine were I have it but I will check it again once I install yamalink and adjust forks.

I might suggest that you set your pre load on your spring as light as possible.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks, I did that the first day I got it to reduce the seat height when I sat on it. 1.8 inches is all it goes for me. It didn't compress at all from the factory when I sat on it.
CurtisC wrote:
I bought the yamalink and will install it on Saturday and also raise the forks in the triple mount to 10mm. My sag is at 3'1/4 at this time so it is fine were I have it but I will check it again once I install yamalink and adjust forks.

I might suggest that you set your pre load on your spring as light as possible.
Back to top Go down
CurtisC

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 pm

also along with the Yamalink did you do the stock lowering on the back shock which brings it down about 3/4 of an inch.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Yeah, did all that stuff to get my feet closer to the ground.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 9:23 pm

My seat height is 33"...at least I can get the ball of a foot on the ground and ride it like I raped a monkey. thumb

ZED

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Riding it like a "raped monkey" - Oh, the imagery... Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 pm

What, a naked chick clenching the seat breaking into a sweat? I've often wondered how many men would admit to wanting to be the seat of said dirtbike.... amazon Very happy

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 7:29 am

Here's a giant thread on lowering the WR, the folks who make/sell the YamaLink chime in too:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621989&highlight=yamalink

Sarah
Back to top Go down
CurtisC

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 12:53 pm

I noticed on the Thumpertalk thread that the torque on the front fork pinch bolts says 16.5LBS however on the manual it says 17LBS for the top and 14LBS for the bottom pinch bolts. I guess its not much of a difference but those kind of things make me wonder whats correct.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 1:05 pm

The manual is what you go with. thumb Tech said so himself. deal When in doubt, go with the sexy directions the toy came with, unless an updated version supersedes it.

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 6:55 pm

shewolf did you lower your forks 5/8" in the clamps? I still don't have a definite answer on how low I should go with them. I did the stock lowering, I'm doing the Yamalink and will do the forks but I want to know what the optimal height is on the forks. Suspension Stuffz Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 7:17 pm

I went 5/8 yes...just enuf so that there was a minuscule spacing between the handlebars and the top of the fork tube. With all the settings I have, it handles pretty slick; no high speed wobble and it tracks well. thumb

0007onWR

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 11:20 pm

SheWolf wrote:
What, a naked chick clenching the seat breaking into a sweat? I've often wondered how many men would admit to wanting to be the seat of said dirtbike.... amazon Very happy

Whoa, did someone say naked clenching!!
I often wonder how many women would admit to that?
But then again I listen to a lot of Howard Stern
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Red, you're such a dirty boy. wink

Suspension Stuffz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Stuffz   Suspension Stuffz Empty

Back to top Go down

Suspension Stuffz
Page 1 of 1