Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2 and a half hour highway drive ok?

Go down 
+13
Blackdog
mordicai
Crazy M
YZEtc
georgis4
GusinCA
Torontorocko
mucker
oic0
bigg
gatorfan
wristpin
kpla51
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kpla51

kpla51

2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Sounds good ill give it a shot
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 5:12 pm

Are products like engine ice am additive to coolant ? Or there own coolant. Can the overheat also be a contribution of it runing lean from the factory the bike is completely stock
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:26 pm

The coolant system works fine stock, as I've heard...fan only comes on when it is really needed...when it's hot.

Now a damaged rad is another thing. If you have a few bent fins...I don't see an issue.

If you have restricted flow in passes...I can see an issue.
If you have a leak, or low coolant...I can see an issue.

Never ride on, when the temp light stays on...if it goes off, then a heads up, to the conditions.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Ya it only was on for 20 seconds at the most turned off when slowed down I'm worried about the ride home
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 7:25 pm

The only restricted flow would be on one side of a spine that's what I call it idk the correct term and it's about four inches the side of the radiator is flush with the spine at the bottom of the rad
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:12 pm

A picture would help.

When it comes to flow, restriction is everything.

Every pass in the rad must flow.

Not sure of the exact circuit/configuration of our rad...but a restriction in the header feeding the passes or the passes themselves could be a big deal.

If a new rad is in order...there's no way around that easily, without a new rad.

Good luck...stay cool.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm getting a new rad and having this fixed by mylers for a spare I'm just worried about getting home
Back to top Go down
georgis4

georgis4

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 3:05 am

Most likely you ll get home just the way you went there so dont worry if the temp light flushes again.it will help if you start your trip erlier or at any time that temps are lower;-)
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I ride two hours all the time wide f open. I ride every day on a custom seat with an Alaskan Sheep Skin, and my ass is never a problem that a 1 minute stand wont cure.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 4:17 pm

I've done 1.5 hours straight on the highway before. I have a Seat Consept seat and my ass was fine. Only issue was I felt like I was on a mountain bike going 70 mph in heavy traffic, this was a little unnerving to say the least.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 4:40 pm

The temp light came on about six times on the way back all lasting about 20 seconds once I slowed down it went off :( I'm worried I jacked something up but I had to get home
Back to top Go down
georgis4

georgis4

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Not likely its just your engine that was working at its temp limits..for sure your coolant isnt circulating enough because of your radiator.once that is fixed it will be fine:-)
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Lets hope I didn't ud think the temp light would come on before it overheats the manual makes it seem when the light turns on you're already running too hot
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 8:29 pm

georgis4 wrote:
Not likely its just your engine that was working at its temp limits..for sure your coolant isnt circulating enough because of your radiator.once that is fixed it will be fine:-)
but how would it not be circulating if all that is smashed was the fins https://www.dropbox.com/s/tugn9nv8qiehiak/rad.jpg?v=1mcis
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Something else is wrong inside. That doesn't look badly damaged enough to cause the temp light to come on.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 9:23 pm

GusinCA wrote:
Something else is wrong inside. That doesn't look badly damaged enough to cause the temp light to come on.
what do you think could of happened in there im learning here so im trying to soak up knowledge. and thats what i was thinking it didn't look damaged enough and the coolant is topped off. oh i tested it and it read between -20 and -35 degrees f. i read somewhere it should be -35. but id say it was at -25. how does this affect it?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:37 pm

I don't know enough about the inner workings. Maybe something got knocked loose inside and is now blocking the flow somehow?
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Maybe seems like a plausible thing
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:08 am

Are you sure its full of coolant? Are you sure its not leaking, that the cap is on all the way, correctly, and tight? The one time I had something similar happen (temp light came on while on the interstate, then went off after a few seconds) I was a little low on coolant. Otherwise I've hammered it in 1st and 2nd gear single track for hours on end in 95+ degree heat that had KTM's and other true dirt bikes puking their coolant out where mine was just fine. Also ridden across hundreds of miles of desert on dirt roads loaded up with camping gear at highway speeds without overheating. If the lights coming on, you're low on coolant, the radiator isn't flowing right, or there's something else wrong in the system.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:14 am

The resivoir is filled in between the two lines and it's filled up to the bottom of the cap the cap has a small dent In it but there's no leaking.
Back to top Go down
georgis4

georgis4

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:23 am

Hmm your radiator indeed isnt that bad.maybe your water pump is at its last?i cant understand why it overheats at cruise speeds with tons of airflow on the radiator and your engine....another thing that comes in mind is a dirty or non oem air filter and crap getting inside the engine but thats extreme..(but possible)
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:57 am

kpla51 wrote:
The resivoir is filled in between the two lines and it's filled up to the bottom of the cap the cap has a small dent In it but there's no leaking.

If the caps dented in a way that makes it not seal up properly and keep full presure in the rad the bike will run hotter than normal.
A bad rad cap wont leak the water out onto the ground it will end up in the over flow tank.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:16 am

Is there a way to test this?
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:22 am

The too of the cap is dented in slightly. You said it would go into the overflow wouldn't my overflow levels be high or would it suck back into the rad when it cools down
Back to top Go down
georgis4

georgis4

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:39 am

If the cap doesnt seal it will suck up air and not coolant from the reservoir.you said that you did change uour coolant?if not when you do change it collect and mesure it.it should be 900 ml in the engine/radiator/all routes and 250 ml in the reservoir.. Thats to ensure that you dont have an air pocket somewhere inside;-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 and a half hour highway drive ok?   2 and a half hour highway drive ok? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2 and a half hour highway drive ok?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next