Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage

Go down 
+69
Crooked Creek
pfy50
conflict0102
b.ringrose
scott_pdx
bsheet2
johnnyadventurepants
aaronhall555
deerHater
e010584
Muddyrabbit
treybrad
trav72
mordicai
bDry
SoupSandwich
twday
Dancamp
cryptomundo
DougZ
Greenbean
oh2RideMore
mfrankpdx
Pancho
Bgunn
hughtwg
greer
GsVs
Crawdaddy
calico jack
bash3r
levity
antipode
asheville thumper
edteamslr
Jäger
Navajib
2Wheelz
smolvar
derm75
skierd
longtallsally
tjohnson
MeefZah
wahilde
0007onWR
shredak
BPG
1moreroad
Longview
jpkrass
lotsofwheels
Addicted
Don T
CopaMundial
badmotoscooter
Goggles Pisano
malibu_dan
spikehead
YamWOW!
Fargo_Wolf
Akoffroader
mwakey
f3joel
Louisbiker
SpiritWolf15
Krabill
SheWolf
Chadx
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:40 pm

For anyone that has the Pro Moto Billet rack mounted, can I see a pic of the under side of the fender, specifically seeing which bolts go through the subframe...and more specifically, if just two do, or if all four do.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 pm

DougZ wrote:
For anyone that has the Pro Moto Billet rack mounted, can I see a pic of the under side of the fender, specifically seeing which bolts go through the subframe...and more specifically, if just two do, or if all four do.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to see where the bolts line up, remove your rear fender and look at the four circles on the bottom (you use those circles as markers for drilling the holes) and then you will be able to figure out where the bolts go and where it connects to the frame. You will need to use all four (you should use all four).

Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 12:51 pm

For anyone that has made one from a cutting board or alike material, can you tell me what size piece is needed. In other words, will a 12" X 12" sheet work, or will it need some more length?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm

cryptomundo wrote:

If you want to see where the bolts line up, remove your rear fender and look at the four circles on the bottom (you use those circles as markers for drilling the holes) and then you will be able to figure out where the bolts go and where it connects to the frame. You will need to use all four (you should use all four).

They don't always line up. As a precaution I took a small diameter bit and drilled a pilot hole in the fender from the underside to make sure it was lined up.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm

I just installed the factory Yamaha rack on my WRX. It is exceptionally solid and does a fine job of holding my small Motofizz tailbag in place. I am, officially, done with wearing a courier bag to work everyday.
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 6:57 pm

lotsofwheels wrote:
Here's a picture of my RR with a Cycleracks.com rack and Cortech bags. I like the rack because it is plenty stout and large. I almost feel like I could get rid of the 4Runner and carry sheets of plywood on the bike now.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Wr250r_bags

Hey lotsofwheels,

would you mind taking a few up close pics of how you have your cortech bags attached to the rear rack? Thanks a ton, I am looking to make my X into a mini-tourer bike. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:38 pm

For those that have bought the Automotive Machine and Supply rear rack, what length bolts did you get for the install? I am 99% sure they are M6 X 1.0 thread, but not sure on length yet. Those spaces seems really long.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=56

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Yamaharack2

Back to top Go down
bDry

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 pm

A Givi "Micro" top box. Lockable hard case. Real handy for my daily commute.
Pop off the box and you've got a pretty good little rack to strap on soft luggage or a duffel or something.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 XwithGiviMicro20

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Xfromleft1
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: bolts   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:50 pm

DougZ wrote:
For those that have bought the Automotive Machine and Supply rear rack, what length bolts did you get for the install? I am 99% sure they are M6 X 1.0 thread, but not sure on length yet. Those spaces seems really long.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=56

I don't have the rack, but if I remember correctly I have read that 65mm is the length. You will probably have to buy 70mm and cut them. Call the folks at automotive !!!
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 6:42 am

mordicai wrote:
DougZ wrote:

I don't have the rack, but if I remember correctly I have read that 65mm is the length. You will probably have to buy 70mm and cut them. Call the folks at automotive !!!

Thanks. I did not get a response for a while, so I just used a caliper and took a measurement of the rack, the spacers, and the threaded length of the stock bolts and came out to about 67 mm...so I ordered 70 mm bolts. They should be here today.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Abuseable dry bag - $26   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Here is an absolute steal of a deal on a big dry bag:
ILBE Dry Bag - $26

They're soldier-proof, so motorcyclists should find them pretty durable and useful...

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 31WSKXqnuLL._SS400_
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm

65L?! eeek Wow, there's some packing room. Not sure where one could put that on our bikes. dunno

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Actually, I think we could fit our bikes in that bag. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:03 am

SheWolf wrote:
65L?! eeek Wow, there's some packing room. Not sure where one could put that on our bikes. dunno
Just because it will GET that big doesn't mean you have to fill it.

Oh wait... I suppose you're one of those chicks with a purse the size of a paramedic's jump bag...

I would rather have an overly big bag partially full that I can mould around other gear than a tiny little bag stuffed sausage tight. That's what the valve is for - so you can roll the top down as short as you want, snap it closed, open the air valve, and then crush all the air out of it before closing the valve. It is always easier to pack a bunch of odd stuff in a loose fitting bag you can fit around bends and into nooks and corners, than tying a log stiff bag crammed tight on the back.

You could even drape this around your bike like a Giant Loop, if you didn't stuff it too full.

However, this isn't the ideal size, the best size would probably be the middle sized bag - but it's selling for about three times what this one is. But for the price they're selling this bag, I bought one just because.

A 40L dry bag (which would measure approximately 20x12x12) is probably the right size for what doesn't fit into your saddlebags/Giant Loop. Or at least, that's what I decided on.
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Just installed the Borrego rack from Turbo City. Also I purchased the Cortech Sport tail bag as well. The installation instructions were about useless, I actually ended doing the install without them. The build quality is awesome and also since it attaches to the rear sub frame in four different places it is extremely sturdy. So far I am very happy with my purchase.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 IMG_1255
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 IMG_1259
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 IMG_1257
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 IMG_1256
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 IMG_1263
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 IMG_1262
Back to top Go down
treybrad

treybrad

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 am

Does anyone have good pictures of the Cycleracks.com rack? I had one on my old TW200 and loved it, but the TW is an ugly old beast by nature, I can't quite tell if I want one on the sleek little WRR.

I feel like the picture on the Cycleracks website is particularly unflattering -- does anyone have more pictures, loaded or unloaded, to get a feel for how it looks? If it isn't too big and bulky, it's a lot of rack for the money.

Thanks!

trey
Back to top Go down
Muddyrabbit

PostSubject: Panniers   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 am

The Happy Trail pannier racks finally arrived! Very impressed with them, excellent quality for the price. We got the "new" style (not sure how new) that use less pucks to mount boxes. Meredith and I are installing this evening, so pics of the install coming.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Trials and Tribulations of a Commuter and Tourer   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:58 pm

At first, I tried to use gear I already owned.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Wr250x10
That's the Motofizz small bag on a stock WR Yamaha luggage rack. I "complemented" that with my old Eclipse saddle bags and that sort of worked. No part of that rig was waterproof and my clothes smelled like my feet after 4 hot and wet days in Ontario a couple of weeks back. So, looking for a fix, I went for the Grand Loop Canyon saddlebag, Diablo tank bag, and their Dry Bag. I'm still using the Motofizz for commuting. The Eclipse bags are probably history.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 _grand10
I tried that rig out last night on a 1 day Wisconsin camping trip. I didn't bring the Dry Bag because I didn't need the extra room. The system worked great. I got rained on, a little, and it all stayed dry. A 30mph wind didn't bother me any more than going without the luggage, and it packs and unpacks really easily and stays put on rough trails.

My one man Eureka tent worked pretty well, too. However, WI mosquitoes nested in my Shoei X12 over night and I'm still digging at my head. Nasty buggers. The tent was covered in ticks the next morning, too. I've been going over my body on regular intervals looking for stragglers. The tent and gear are "curing" in the backyard to get out all of the bugs that stowed a ride with me before I bring in the grear and store it.
Back to top Go down
e010584

PostSubject: Another Cutting Solution to Tail Racks   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:28 am

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 2011-010
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 2011-011
Made from a black farberware cutting board from Wally World.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:27 am

How big were the dimensions of that cutting board before you started working on it?

I can't find one big enough for my plans and am about to start hitting up the local plastics firms in Kalispell.
Back to top Go down
e010584

PostSubject: Cutting Solution to Tail Rack   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 am

Wally World had a small and a large size. I used the large which was something like 11 x 14. It wasn't ideal in that it was a bit thinner than I would have liked and had some white flecks in it, but I must admit the textured surface is certainly a bonus. Most of the plastics are being sold as 12 x 12 (which would be too short for this one) or 12 x 24 (which is more than you need for one). I was in the same dillema and bought the cutting board figuring I would have to prototype something either way. I was going to cut one out of wood first, but this was cheap (~$10) and easy enough.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Jäger wrote:
How big were the dimensions of that cutting board before you started working on it?

I can't find one big enough for my plans and am about to start hitting up the local plastics firms in Kalispell.
Try a restaurant supply store. I bought a BIG one (2' x 3') here in Ottawa:
http://jordash.com

Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for that suggestion. Not a lot of restaurant supply stores in Kalispell... but worth a look.

I'm going to guess a commercial grade cutting board of that size may well cost me far more than what hitting up a plastics place will. But, a good idea worth a look.
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 3:07 pm

New tank bag for me Very happy
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Photo-87
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Photo-86
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Photo-85
From http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/42358/ITEM/Cycle-Case-Compact-GPS-Tank-Bag.aspx, $29.99 Cycle Case Compact GPS Tank Bag
Back to top Go down
johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Does it come with a rain cover? It doesn't show anything about a rain cover at the link.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next