Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage

Go down 
+69
Crooked Creek
pfy50
conflict0102
b.ringrose
scott_pdx
bsheet2
johnnyadventurepants
aaronhall555
deerHater
e010584
Muddyrabbit
treybrad
trav72
mordicai
bDry
SoupSandwich
twday
Dancamp
cryptomundo
DougZ
Greenbean
oh2RideMore
mfrankpdx
Pancho
Bgunn
hughtwg
greer
GsVs
Crawdaddy
calico jack
bash3r
levity
antipode
asheville thumper
edteamslr
Jäger
Navajib
2Wheelz
smolvar
derm75
skierd
longtallsally
tjohnson
MeefZah
wahilde
0007onWR
shredak
BPG
1moreroad
Longview
jpkrass
lotsofwheels
Addicted
Don T
CopaMundial
badmotoscooter
Goggles Pisano
malibu_dan
spikehead
YamWOW!
Fargo_Wolf
Akoffroader
mwakey
f3joel
Louisbiker
SpiritWolf15
Krabill
SheWolf
Chadx
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Teep wrote:
The riders weight is carried on the main triangle of the frame whereas the rack sits on an extension of the main triangle. The main triangle design will handle passenger weight but not the extension. If I were to design a weight carrying tail rack I would find some means of adding more support for the tail section, possibly adding strutts from the main triangle.

Teep

I see what you're saying. But I would hazzard to guess that the extension aft of the main triangle would still hold a decent amount of weight in stock form. There is already a small brace on the left side where the helmet lock is located. The tubing is the same size as the main triangle, and in fact the top section of that extension is the same tube as the top of main triangle. In other words, the extension is not welded on. I would not hessitate to strap 50 pounds to that tail without even a rack, and it would not be a problem. Just how much gear does one need to carry back there anyhow? If you need that much carrying power, you are going for the CycleRack type rack anyhow, and it already has the extra support struts like you mentioned. But for most of these little add on type racks bolted to the tail, I would be more worried about how they are mounted, and not be so worried about how strong the subframe is. It's plenty strong. This white PVC rack pictured above is mounted (I assume) to the cross section pieces under the tail, and not to the frame tubing itself. All the load is on the welds of the cross section, not the actual frame. I'm sure those welds and that thin metal cross piece were not designed for any major load bearing weight. Not to mention I don't like the idea of having to drill holes in the plastic to mount it.
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 3:05 am

Quote :
This white PVC rack pictured above is mounted (I assume) to the cross section pieces under the tail, and not to the frame tubing itself. All the load is on the welds of the cross section, not the actual frame. I'm sure those welds and that thin metal cross piece were not designed for any major load bearing weight. Not to mention I don't like the idea of having to drill holes in the plastic to mount it.

Yep. mounted using the 4 bolts designed for it.(by the looks) I'm not going to load it up at all. The 4 bolts are very close together. there's no strength for large loads and no support for uneven loads. But for small loads woulle be perfectly fine.

The rear plastic fender has special marks on the bottom so you can drill straight in the right place.
The promotobillet rack has the same mount. (and looks much better than mine) That's what gave me the idea where to put the bolts.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 Wr250r10
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 Untitl10
Back to top Go down
spikehead

spikehead

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 9:29 am

Just to confirm... the "special marks" are the raised circles, yes?

Louisbiker wrote:
[The rear plastic fender has special marks on the bottom so you can drill straight in the right place.
The promotobillet rack has the same mount. (and looks much better than mine) That's what gave me the idea where to put the bolts.Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 Wr250r10
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 11:46 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I was talking with the Yammi rep and he said that these racks from the XT WILL fit the WR as well.

Sport Rack
Rugged Rack

I'm contemplating this one.

I love the look of the Sport Rack, but are they kidding? 150 dollars and the rack is only rated @ 11lbs carrying capacity? I hope that's a typo...
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 5:19 am

spikehead wrote:
Just to confirm... the "special marks" are the raised circles, yes?

yes, that's correct. start drilling directly in the small holes..
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 5:22 am

malibu_dan wrote:

I love the look of the Sport Rack, but are they kidding? 150 dollars and the rack is only rated @ 11lbs carrying capacity? I hope that's a typo...

I'm not sure the cost has anything to do with the carrying capacity... I think the lack of support from the 4 small mounting bolts dictate the carrying capacity.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 am

malibu_dan wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
I was talking with the Yammi rep and he said that these racks from the XT WILL fit the WR as well.

Sport Rack
Rugged Rack

I'm contemplating this one.

It's hard to tell from those pics, but it doesn't look like they will bolt up to our bike. Where does the forward most brace on the left side of that XT rack bolt to our WR's???

Last edited by mwakey on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Has anyone tried the Borrego rack from TurboCity?

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 WR250R%20web%20a1

This looks like just what I need... Perfect for hauling a 12-pack. freaky

They also make a 1.5 gallon fuel tank that fits this rack.
Back to top Go down
badmotoscooter

badmotoscooter

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 pm

now see, I knew the moment i bought the Yamaha rack i'd see something i like better and that rack is cool. but, oh well Sleep haven't picked up the rack yet but my Wolfman packs came in today. i got one for the rear then got these things called 'paneers' or 'paniers' and i'm not real sure how they are gonna work out. they straddle the tank and when i got on my knees were all over 'em. i would only use them for trailing, my commute i'll just use the rear one, but those things might not have been made for this bike. i believe i should have done more scopin' scratch has anyone else gone this route?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Well so much for that. The rep said the XT tail racks will NOT fit the WR without heavy modifications...dammit I need that damned welder... baldy

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Here's my little tip for the day . . .

If you're running the yamaha tail rack, the left side dirt bagz rack won't mate up to the upper mount. Both BigDog and HF cut the upper tab off the DB rack and re-welded it in a location that would work. I tried to find an easier way. I found by sticking a nut just big enough for the mounting bolt to slide through (without threading it) worked perfectly by getting the DB mount out far enough to clear the yamaha rack. And I can still use the helmet lock with this setup.

I had the big nut just laying around, but I did have to go to the hardware store to buy a longer mounting bolt (m8x50).

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 2cy0jzc
Back to top Go down
spikehead

spikehead

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks LB!

Louisbiker wrote:

yes, that's correct. start drilling directly in the small holes..
Back to top Go down
CopaMundial

PostSubject: Happy-Trail   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 2:46 am

I wrote to Happy-Trail.com on Friday (10pm) to ask if they had plans to make racks for the WRR… got a reply at 4pm (on Saturday believe it or not) saying “Yes we do. It should be soon”.
Whatever “soon” means is open to interpretation of course, but I’ll be on the lookout.
They make a sort of generic pannier rack to which you can attach any number of types of bags (soft bags from Ortleib, Pelicans etc). They also sell some aluminum pannier boxes directly if you're into that.

Here’s a pic of their rack on an XT225.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 XT225_SU_1
Back to top Go down
badmotoscooter

badmotoscooter

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 pm

asheville thumper wrote:
Could you post some pics of the paniers and tailbag? I'd like to see how they look on the bike.

if you go to Adventure Reports and read boogn1sh's AR2 Sunday you'll see some good shots of my bag set-up. those things just were not going to work up front so i just hooked one strap through the Yama rack, cut off the rear straps, put the front straps to the frame and it worked out really, really well today.
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

PostSubject: I travel light...   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 5:47 pm

I use the Yamaha rack to carry a Kriega US-10 and 5L extra fuel when needed.
The Kriega US-10 is big enough for a tool roll, a few spare parts and what else I need for a long days ride.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_5010
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_5008
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_5035
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_5031
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Don T wrote:
I use the Yamaha rack to carry a Kriega US-10 and 5L extra fuel when needed.
The Kriega US-10 is big enough for a tool roll, a few spare parts and what else I need for a long days ride.

What fuel can is that? Looks like a great size for the rack.
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 2:34 pm

mwakey wrote:

What fuel can is that? Looks like a great size for the rack.

It's just an old "no-name" fuel can, but it's allmost indestructible and 100% leak proof thumb

I got it second hand from a shop that sells lawnmowers, chainsaws ect.
Back to top Go down
Addicted

PostSubject: My Luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Carbon Fiber Rack:
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_2658
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_2667
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_2657

RAM mounted Micro tank bag and GPS:
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_2651
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_2654
Back to top Go down
lotsofwheels

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Here's a picture of my RR with a Cycleracks.com rack and Cortech bags. I like the rack because it is plenty stout and large. I almost feel like I could get rid of the 4Runner and carry sheets of plywood on the bike now.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 Wr250r_bags
Back to top Go down
jpkrass

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I want to mount a Pelican 1300 case on the back of my WRR. It will be used for stuff for my work commute, nothing heavy. Do you think I should use a rack, or can I bolt it right to the frame? I'd like to be able to not use a rack and keep it as low profile as possible.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 pm

jpkrass wrote:
I want to mount a Pelican 1300 case on the back of my WRR. It will be used for stuff for my work commute, nothing heavy. Do you think I should use a rack, or can I bolt it right to the frame? I'd like to be able to not use a rack and keep it as low profile as possible.

I don't see why not. You could bolt it down similar to some of the racks in this thread. Just make sure you bolt through the subframe cross members and not just to the plastic. You may have to make some spacers to go under the Pelican so it sits level.
Back to top Go down
Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 12:01 pm

jpkrass wrote:

EDIT: Just noticed my description was previously nicely shown in this thread.... (It's on page 3 for me).

If you take the rear fender off, the typical four bolt pattern is molded into the underside of the fender. You can drill those holes out in the fender, mark the same hole pattern in your case, make some spacers, and bolt down through the "frame".

It's kind of a small pattern, and the bolts go into some stamped cross pieces. It would be ok for light loads. For heavier loads, you would want to be tied into the helmet lock, the muffler hanger bracket, or even the passenger footpeg mounts.

Last edited by Addicted on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 12:06 pm

Just looked up the size of a pelican 1300 case. I think you're fine bolting down to the 4 bolt pattern. That's how the carbon fiber rack a few posts up is mounted.
Here's a shot of the spacers (as much as you can see anyway)
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 IMG_2662
Back to top Go down
jpkrass

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey thanks guys. Ya the 1300 case is just a little thing, but I think it will look cool and come in very handy. Maybe a MSR fuel bottle strapped on the side. I think I will just bolt it down with spacers. Again thanks!
Back to top Go down
Longview

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Great idea Krabill - thanks!

While I was working your plan, I started playing around with another option: If you're not running passenger pegs, you can run the front mounting spot in the bolt hole between the two peg bracket mounting holes. (Install it on the inside of that plate). Then the rear lines up perfectly with the hole on the GYTR rack for the helmet lock. I find this is just a little easier to get on and off, and it keeps the Dirtbagz rack tucked in a little tighter.

Sure is easier than dicking around with a welder to change the end!

Krabill wrote:
Here's my little tip for the day . . .

If you're running the yamaha tail rack, the left side dirt bagz rack won't mate up to the upper mount. Both BigDog and HF cut the upper tab off the DB rack and re-welded it in a location that would work. I tried to find an easier way. I found by sticking a nut just big enough for the mounting bolt to slide through (without threading it) worked perfectly by getting the DB mount out far enough to clear the yamaha rack. And I can still use the helmet lock with this setup.

I had the big nut just laying around, but I did have to go to the hardware store to buy a longer mounting bolt (m8x50).

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 2cy0jzc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next