Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor

Go down 
+11
Smathersfish
DougZ
rydnseek
Rule292
skidmarx
greer
YZEtc
skierd
motokid
SheWolf
zdenton
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
zdenton

Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Empty
PostSubject: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:14 pm

I recently installed an HMF competition series exhaust. Shortly after, I received an error code 18 which is a stuck servo motor. The guys at the Yamaha dealer said no worries in terms of damage to my motor, but my concern is getting the machine inspected. I am afraid I will have difficulties with the inspectors when I go to renew my sticker. My question is: how can I remedy the error code 18 stuck servo so the light will go off and I can get my WR inspected? Zac
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Do you still have the servo in there or not? if it is, unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. If you don't, you need to resistor the plug to bypass the CEL code. thumb

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:44 pm

So you obviously disconnected the servo motor when you removed stock pipe and EXUP crap.

Did you keep servo motor or trash it?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
zdenton

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Here is the story... There were 2 cables that were connected to the stock pipe that I took off. These two cables ran under the seat, and went into a small black box right below the battery. The rubber strap that holds the battery in place attaches to this black box as a reference. Without removing these cables I would not have been able to remove the stock pipe. Inside this black bow were several small wheels similar to what you see in an older watch, and the two cables went into this box. I do not know if this box was and is the servo or not. I removed the cables and the parts that were inside the box as I knew they would fall out while riding. There are no wires running from this box to unplug or plug as far as I can see so I do not know what the hell is going on! Zac
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Take out that black box...it's useless now (that WAS your EXUP motor). Easy fix is to do here. This will get rid of the CEL. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyTue May 10, 2011 11:17 pm

If the wiring bit scares you, you can also get a plug that plugs into the stock harness that will do the same thing for ~$50, made by Graves Motorsports. It can be ordered as a GYTR part or bought aftermarket from various places. I'm using one and have had it for about a year/20,000 miles with no complaints.
Back to top Go down
zdenton

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyWed May 11, 2011 8:35 pm

I do not have red and white wires coming from the EXUP motor so I do not know where to put the resistor. Where do I get the resistor you are talking about, and will I need to take my WR to the dealer in order to have my CEL reset? Zac
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:03 pm

You removed the pipe, cables and servo right?

When you removed servo did you cut wires, or disconnect a plug-style connector?

The resistors can be found at electronic stores or Radio Shacks....

The resistors go into the plug-style connector.

Assuming you didn't just cut electrical wires to remove servo there should be a plug-style connector floating around near your battery.

The CEL code should be capable of being reset by you once you fix the servo issue.

Either plug the servo motor back in, buy a special piece from Graves for about $60, or use the resistor method.

Before you can do any of that you have to locate the connector that the original servo was connected to.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
zdenton

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I removed the pipe, and two wires that ran into the EXUP motor according to another member. Honestly, I do not know if I have even touched the servo. I do not know what the servo looks like. All I did was follow two cables that ran from the outside of the stock pipe to a black box under the battery. I think this was the EXUP motor, but am not sure. There are no cables of any sort running from where the black box was, "EXUP motor I think" to tamper with. I did not cut anything or disconnect any kind of connector. Assuming that I ever do figure this out do the resistors plug into the connector or what?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyWed May 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Sounds like he removed the cables that went from the servo motor pulley to the EXUP pulley, and then, for some reason, disassembled the servo motor, itself (wheels like from an old watch = gears from the servo motor?), while leaving it plugged in.

That's what I got out of it, anyway. :)

zdenton, all you had to do was remove those two cables that went to your exhaust muffler and leave the motor alone.

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:22 am

A little late now, tho. GAHHHH With those gears out it's gonna keep throwing code; either put the gears back in or take that box all the way out. You'll see the plug once you go to remove the box, and the wires you'll be able to see going into the back of the plug. Or you can blow $50 vs .10 on the end plug. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:33 am

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 10:15 am

Lol, I already linked that. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 10:19 am

oops

Sarah
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 10:48 am

No worries Sarah. thumb I just quick linked the thread topic to a one-worder. freaky

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 3:03 pm

The two wires had to be removed along with the black box in order to completely remove the stock pipe from the motor. When I removed the black box I did not see any wires to plug or unplug. I am going to look again though. I also do not have a radioshack to order the 7.5k resistor. Can anyone provide a link to the specific one I need?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Are you confusing "wires" with "cablles"????

There were metal push-pull cables that ran from exhaust pipe, to servo motor, which is near the battery.

Removing those cables would not throw the CEL error code.

If you click on the hyperlinks that both Shewolf and Greer provided for you, you'll see some pictures of the connector plug that provides the electricity to run the servo motor.

You'll also see a picture of the resistor.

You won't be ordering resistor I don't think because they cost under a dollar each.
Like maybe 10 cents each.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Okay bro - you ready for this?

These are the push-pull cables that run from the exhaust pipe to the servo motor:

Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Dscn2011

This is where they go into servo motor right under your battery:
Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Dscn2012

This is the servo motor:
Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Dscn2013

This is the plug you need to find:
Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Dscn2014

The resistor will get shoved into two of the opening in this part of plug:
Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Dscn2015

Now....all that is under the side cover where your battery is. Shifter side.

Find that plug dude.

thumb

FmF Q4

Last edited by motokid on Thu May 12, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 3:47 pm

With the small resistor;
Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Servor10
Servo unit:
Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Exup_f10

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyThu May 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Ahahahahahha Shewolf....beat you by a second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great minds again.............. wings

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
skidmarx

skidmarx

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:16 pm

[quote="SheWolf"]With the small resistor;
Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Servor10
What are the colors on that resistor?
Looks like Brown,Black, ??Black?? ,Gold
Is that right?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Believe it or not, it's gold, gold, green and purple. Look closely. Scroll about half way down the page and you'll see it. deal

skidmarx

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyFri May 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks,
That's actually a 7.5 ohm not a 7.5k ohm according to this Handy Resistor code interpreter.
7.5k would be Violet,Green,Red, Gold
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyFri May 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Interesting; I went right to the electronics tech and told him what I wanted (I did specify 7.5k). That was what he gave me. dunno I've been running this for...*lost count of the time* and it's never thrown a code. Suspect

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Prolly one of them fookin Canadian type resistors....you know they do everything crazy-strange up there in the Great White North aye.

amazon

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor   Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor Empty

Back to top Go down

Error Code 18: Stuck servo motor
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next